Had to workaround for Moca; why?
sleestak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently moved and my equipment was upgraded at new house.  I now have the 3100 router.  At my old house I used moca connection and extender for weak spots (Actiontec ECB6200 and WCB6200Q).  Both are 2.0.  The 3100 uses moca 2.5.  My understanding is that newer versions are always backwards compatible.  Since the 3100 had coax port on back the purportedly provides moca signal, I did not use the ECB6200 adapter, just connected the coax directly the back of thee 3100.  However, the WCB6200Q extender was not receiving any signal (yes I reset it and synced it with the 3100).  I logged into the 3100 and it indicated that moca was 'on'. 

Ultimately I just ran an ethernet from the 3100 to the adapter, then coax from adapter to the wall coax.  Hooked up the extender in another room an voila.  It worked like it should.  But I'm puzzled as to why it didn't work straight out of the 3100.  Is the moca not backward compatible?  If I had a moca 2.5 extender, would it work 'as it should' going straight from the 3100?

I have gigabit service, new ONT with ethernet from ONT to 3100 router.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Had to workaround for Moca; why?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am getting contradictory information about WCB6200Q too. Somebody's has worked, while others do not. G3100 is certified with MoCA Alliance, MoCA 2.5 is compatible to MoCA 2.0, 1.1/1.0, but not Bonded MoCA 2.0, which is the version for WCB6200Q. WCB6200Q and G3100 should resort to a lower MoCA version if is detected to be incompatible on MoCA 2.0

G3100 works for WCB3000N (MoCA 1.1) for sure, as per another forum user.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you check what's G3100's MoCA channel? 1150MHz?

Verizon G3100 manual kind of implies that only MoCA 2.5 is enabled.

0 Likes
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Cang - I'm thinking you mean me, with the WCB3000N working with the G3100.  Assuming so, then I'm not positive that is correct.  According to the tech that I had (and also to at least one verizon customer service person...although I've had conflicting info), the WCB3000N is talking with the ONT (which is MoCa 1.1), not with the G3100.

I (and the verizon people) could easily be wrong, and the WCB3000N is talking with the G3100, but that's not what I was lead to believe.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Oopey wrote:

According to the tech that I had (and also to at least one verizon customer service person...although I've had conflicting info), the WCB3000N is talking with the ONT (which is MoCa 1.1), not with the G3100.

If WCB3000N is talking with the ONT, then your WiFi network from WCB3000Ns are all exposed to the public internet, which is very undesirable and, perhaps, dangerous.

WCB3000N is a layer 2 device, only switches ethernet frames and recompiles them into wireless frames or MoCA frames. For routing to the public internet, you need a layer 3 device, for instance G3100 router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The original poster, can you test something for me.

Can you plug your ECB6200 on the other end and use the coax LAN on G3100?

Do they connect? According to this poster on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Fios/comments/fvkn4t/issue_with_stb_using_ecb6200_moca_20_adapters_on/ , they should work together. I need another corroboration.

If they do, we might have some discovery here.

0 Likes
sleestak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I couldn’t make any sense of what that Reddit guy was doing.  What he was describing about what he was doing from his ONT was something I believed wasn’t possible.  The ONT outputs from either the Lan out or the coax out, not both.  Am I mistaken about that?

At any rate, you are asking me to connect the 3100 coax output to the ecb6200 coax, and then see if the LAN output on the adapter sends out a signal?  I will try that and report back.  

it sounds like from an earlier reply wcb6200 runs the one version of moca that won’t work with 2.5?  

Regardless, the work around works for what I need.  I may still look into the 3100 extender at some point.   I appreciate the thoughts on why the extender didn’t work directly with the 3100.

again, I will report back on whether the adapter works directly with the 3100 coax

0 Likes
sleestak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Assuming I did what you asked, that is, connect coax from 3100 to coax ecb6200 and then connect the connect Ethernet from the adapter to a laptop...I got nothing.  No internet. Beginning to wonder if the coax on the 3100 has an issue.  It shows as enabled when I log into router. But getting nothing from either the extender or the adapter when connected directly to the coax of the 3100. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I appreciate your report. Since many of us do not have the exact setup and devices, it is helpful for the users to test themselves.

You said "No Internet." Do they connect at all? That is: does the LAN Coax LED light up on G3100 and Coax LED on ECB6200 light up and flash?

Can you check your LAN Coax channel on G3100? If you go to My Networks -> Network Connection -> Network (Home/Office) -> Underlying Device: Coax: Coax Channel. (I am remembering the steps for G1100 on the top of my head, these could be slightly altered for G3100). What do you see? 1150MHz or a different number?

G3100's MoCA version should not be the problem. It is MoCA certified for 2.5, which one criterium is backwards compatible to MoCA 2.0, 1.1/1.0 ECB6200 and WCB6200Q is Bonded MoCA 2.0 though, may be this is causing the problem.

Is Coax LAN an underlying connection of Network (Home/Office)?

0 Likes
sleestak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok here you go:

LED on 3100 does not light up, but then again, none of them do.  The LAN port where the incoming cable is does not light up.  The two LAN ports that I am currently using for output are not lit either.  They both work.  

The coax light on the ecb6200 does not light up when connected to the coax output of the 3100 directly.  It does light up when it’s connected via LAN port of the 3100 and used as an adapter in my current workaround.  Which makes sense because my workaround is working.

Went to the page you asked. There is no number. I took a screen shot but do not have permission to attach here.  It says cable disconnected (it’s not) on status. And cable disconnected on coax channel. Again, it’s not.

0 Likes