Hard wiring internet for work
Dee421

I have to be hard wired directly to my router for work. The router is currently located in my laundry room downstairs and I would like to relocate it to an upstairs bedroom. How can I do this with the wires that have been drilled through the wall and connected to my Verizon box that is outside?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hard wiring internet for work
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to run an Ethernet cable from the laundry room to the upstairs space, preferably inside your walls.  If you don't know how to do this, you can learn how by googling "how to install an Ethernet cable in a wall" (LOTS of results), or hire a handy person to do it for you.

Note that once the cable is installed, you don't have to move the router.  You can plug it into one of the LAN connections on the router and you'll have hardwired Ethernet upstairs.  If you prefer to move the router, use the newly installed cable to extend the WAN connection from the ONT.  It all depends on where you'd prefer to have the router.  WiFi coverage and ease of access to the router are reasons to consider moving it.

View solution in original post

Re: Hard wiring internet for work
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to run an Ethernet cable from the laundry room to the upstairs space, preferably inside your walls.  If you don't know how to do this, you can learn how by googling "how to install an Ethernet cable in a wall" (LOTS of results), or hire a handy person to do it for you.

Note that once the cable is installed, you don't have to move the router.  You can plug it into one of the LAN connections on the router and you'll have hardwired Ethernet upstairs.  If you prefer to move the router, use the newly installed cable to extend the WAN connection from the ONT.  It all depends on where you'd prefer to have the router.  WiFi coverage and ease of access to the router are reasons to consider moving it.