Help with my Gigabit connection
drinkyT

Greetings all! I recently moved and went with Verizon (First timer). I came from a fiber connection at my last place, where I ran a pfSense setup. I've never used Verizon, I just learned about MoCa (which is what I'm using now). My current problem I'm not getting Gig speeds on the end of my moca adapter (action tech ECB6250). I currently have 3 drops in my townhouse, I have a moca setup in the bedroom (testing purposes) and I'm capped at 90 up and down. I have networking equipment coming tomorrow which are a few switches, a security gateway, and some APs. I'm a networking student and can weave my way through most things, I just never had to use MoCa so I am very new to it. My current setup is G3100 with ethernet for WAN IN, coax out for LAN into a 3-way splitter which supplies the 3 drops in my house. My plan is to use my equipment coming tomorrow to handle the security and DHCP and just use the G3100 for moca duties. At every drop I'm going to use a moca so I can supply a 8port switch which will power an AP and other devices. Am I missing something here? Do I need a MoCa before the G3100?? After a restart my connection is almost Gig at the G3100, on my end (testing on my PC) I'm getting capped at 90mbps. I would love to get this figured out so setting up the networking equipment tomorrow will be a breeze. Thanks in advanced!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Help with my Gigabit connection
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Capped at 90 Mbps? None of the MoCA version caps you at 90Mbps, even MoCA 1.1 should be capped at 100Mbps. Are you using MoCA-compatible coax splitters? What is the link speed between G3100 and ECB6250? Can you go to LAN Coax Stats page on G3100?

G3100’s MoCA should be able to achieve 2.5 Gbps, but ECB6250’s ethernet port is only gigabit. ECB7250, just released less than a month, has 802.3bz 2.5G ethernet port.

Are you using a good ethernet cable? Make sure all 4 pairs of conductors are connected. What link speed do you get on the computer? 100? 1000?

ECB6250 is typically not recommended for gigabit transmission.  ECB5240M is recommended. It costs $55 each, cheaper than ECB6250. ECB5240M achieves up to 1Gbps, has a four port switch, and is officially supported by Verizon, plus you get as many 2-way splitters, ethernet cables, and coax cables as number of devices you order.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you don't have Verizon TV and like running your own gear, I suggest you take the G3100 completely out of the picture.  It's way overkill for a MoCA bridge.  Replace it with another ECB6250 attached to the router of your own choosing.

Since the speed is being capped around 90Mbps, I'm guessing a cable problem.  Can you check both the ECB6250 and the attached device to see what Ethernet link speed they report?  Link speed is often indicated by LEDs; I don't know exactly how the ECB6250 or your device show it.  If Ethernet link speed 100Mbps, you've found the issue.  It's likely a marginal or bad Ethernet cable.

drinkyT

Yeah so I didn't have much time to mess with it last night, but in my upstairs room I attached the MoCa to the coax drop and was getting 90mbps, when I did a speed test from ISP to router is was close to gig speed. I don't need a MoCa that is 2.5G, only because I'll be lucky to peak 1GB but anything close to that is acceptable. What am I looking for on the splitter to tell me what I need to find out? I just got a security gateway and I may take the G3100 out of the picture and see if anything improves. I don't know much about the coax drops or splitter since I just moved in here. But obviously its between the splitter and my coax drops. So I will do a little more digging and hopefully can find a solution. Please check back incase I run into some problems I can't seem to figure out. I appreciate both of your time, so thanks so much!!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the ease of diagnose, can you log into G3100 router and go to LAN Coax Stats page? You can see all MoCA connections and their respective speeds on that page.

Definitely check your link speed to the MoCA adapters as well. Also, have you considered ECB5240M?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not obvious it's between the splitter and the coax.  MoCA either works, or doesn't.  MoCA rated splitters are not required.  MoCA is designed specifically to work through the huge variety of splitters that are installed in people's homes.

Everything you're reporting points to an issue with the Ethernet link between the MoCA adapter and the device.  90Mbps speed is a very strong indicator of a 100Mbps Ethernet link. That's why Cang_household and I are asking you to check the link speed.  Please check the link speed and report back.

If it is running at 100Mbps, it is likely a bad cable or an ancient two-pair (four wire) cable.  Gigabit needs all four pairs (eight wires) to work.  A bad connection in the cable jacks or elsewhere can cause a four pair cable to only work at 100Mbps.