How to Disconnect from Internet and Wireless
Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I need to clean the fans in my HP laptop and I need to disconnect from internet service and wifi.  I need simple directions on how to do this and what I would need to do to get back on both connections.  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Disconnect from Internet and Wireless
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

1) Shut down your laptop as you would normally.

2) Unplug POWER from laptop

3) Disconnect all cables attached to laptop.(Make a note of where they plug in.)

4) Service your laptop.

5) Reconnect 3,2

6) should be back in business.

LET US KNOW HOW YOU MADE OUT.

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

1) Shut down your laptop as you would normally.

2) Unplug POWER from laptop

3) Disconnect all cables attached to laptop.(Make a note of where they plug in.)

4) Service your laptop.

5) Reconnect 3,2

6) should be back in business.

LET US KNOW HOW YOU MADE OUT.

Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, Tom, for the ino.  I haven't cleaned the fans yet, I will be doing it either today or tomorrow.  I will let you know how everything goes. 

0 Likes
Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tom, I was able to perform the fan cleaning yesterday using your explicit instructions.  I also removed the battery as recommended in the HP Support forum.  They said that it was reported by some users that the power started while cleaning the fans. 

I'm not sure if it cleaned the fans propertly.  I used compressed air in every necessary vent....but the fan runs continuously.  It does not make any noise except for a low sounding hum of the fan.  It also doesn't get real hot.  I've never noticed anything hot on the exterior of the laptop and it only discharges warm air from vent every so often.  So I don't know if anthing is wrong or if it is okay for the fan to run continuously when there doesn't seem to be any problem.  Would a cooling pad, or whatever the correct name is, help.  And, if so can you recomment a reasonable cost pad.

Thanks again for your help.  It's really appreciated.

Josey 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most laptops run their fans at a low speed to ensure there's some cooling besides passive cooling, and to keep the noise down to cover for heat generated by spikes in hardware utilization. As long as the CPU/GPU isn't being baked, you're fine if the fan is constantly running at a slow speed.

Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you......I'm very relievedSmiley Happy.  BTW, what is the GPU?  I don't know the names of many parts of the computer....nevery had to before.  But that could be that I had a Dell product and XP for a very long time and and had no hardware problems.  Boy do I miss it.  Windows 8 is driving me crazy!Smiley Mad

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
A graphics processing unit (GPU), also occasionally called visual processing unit (VPU), is a specialized electronic circuit designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display. GPUs are used in embedded systems, mobile phones, personal computers, workstations, and game consoles. Modern GPUs are very efficient at manipulating computer graphics, and their highly parallel structure makes them more effective than general-purpose CPUs for algorithms where processing of large blocks of data is done in parallel. In a personal computer, a GPU can be present on a video card, or it can be on the motherboard or—in certain CPUs—on the CPU die.[1]
I JUST GOOGLED THIS ANSWER IS FROM WIKIPEDIA
SUGGEST YOU JOIN HP FORUMS TO GET OTHER ANSWERS DIRECTLY FROM HP ABOUT YOUR PC IN THE FUTURE GLAD YOU WERE HELPED HERE ON THE VZ FORUMS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Windows 8 will be becoming a lot nicer. They are bringing back the Start Menu, so if you're staying on top of your patches and have Windows 8.1 installed (if not, get it from the Store app after you install your system updates), that comes very soon (if not tomorrow) to my knowledge. Otherwise, install ClassicShell and that should releave much of your Windows 8 pains 🙂

Tomorrow's round of patches should include some bugfixes, some mouse and keyboard friendly improvements and less memory usage.

Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Phew, now that's a compete explanation of a GPU!  Thanks for looking this up for me.  I do belong to the HP Support Forum, but I came here for the internet and wireless info because I figured I would get a more defined answer, which I did, since I have Verizon.  Actually I never thought to go to the HP forum about the GPU. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Josey3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do keep on top of all updates from HP and Microsoft.  However, after reading many, many posts on the HP Forum re Windows 8.1 existing problems for so many people who have installed 8.1, I've decided not to install it, at least for the time-being.  Thanks for your suggestion, though.

0 Likes