How to get rid of the verizon.msn redirection
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

After upgrading from dsl to FiOS my IE home page has been set to

http://wapp.verizon.net/bookmarks/bmredir.asp?region=all&bw=fiber&cd=7.0MSN&bm=ms_home

Wouldn't have noticed except that after a couple of days the link appears to be broken from this machine.  That is easy enough to fix by just putting back my home page though I'm not sure I see why Verizon wants to be in the middle of where I'm going to.

However I noticed that all the other machines on the lan here which had been going to MSN. COM appear now to be going to VERIZON.MSN.COM  Does anybody know where that redirection is being forced?  I suspect it's at the Verizon DNS servers as I can get to the correct MSN by using the IP address.  Just annoying but would actually like to access the preview msn page.

0 Likes
Re: How to get rid of the verizon.msn redirection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

#2 Download that tool.

#3 See and test if the DNS Servers that you are using report back  "bad web domains are interepted by provider".

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

its probably just a cookie or temp file redirection from the install. just clear your cookies and temp files, and set your home page to msn.com and that should take care of it.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 Go to http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

#2 Download that tool.

#3 See and test if the DNS Servers that you are using report back  "bad web domains are interepted by provider".

Nice tool, always like Gibson Research stuff back to the days of Spinrite.  Also was always impressed that Steve got away with using the same logo, albeit red not blue, as the NY bank I work for.

Yes DNS server 71.243.0.12 is flagged as intercepting.  That's the primary DNS server on the outside of the Verizon 9100OEM router.

Looks like to change that I would have to reconfigure the Coax broadband connection.  Probably getting close to the time when I should read the manual to see what I could break by changing some of these settings.

Changed it from automatic to a couple of comcast dns servers and it didn't make any difference.  Need to read a little and see if I should restart the router after the change, possibly cached dns data at the W2K3 server in question.

Thanks for the help will let you know.

Peter

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@spacedebris wrote:

its probably just a cookie or temp file redirection from the install. just clear your cookies and temp files, and set your home page to msn.com and that should take care of it.

I haven't installed anything.

This is a win 2003 server, only thing done to it for FiOS was running the nic optimization too, agreed that is an active-x install so might be an issue.

There is a virtual server running on it providing ftp services in the DMZ.  Can't get IE to connect from it via the bridged virtual to real nic though ftp is running with no issues.  Is there some place to download that optimization tool other than interactively?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon has partners, like AOL yahoo and MSN.  So during install and set up you may have had a question from the installer, or you may have seen a question in the software set up that asked if you wanted aol yahoo and or msn, and someone clicked it. 

You can change it I think by logging in at verizon.net  (the site I think is having trouble right now, so you might have to do it tomorrow) but when you get in there, go to your "my account section" And at the top it will tell you what portal partner you have. 

if you really don't want your verizon account linked to msn for whatever reason, I think you can change it in that same place, or call verizon to have them change it.  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, since you are at..

You can test the speed of the DNS Servers.

-

These two are the ones that my router and computers are set to use: 151.197.0.38 and 151.197.0.39

0 Likes