How Would I Move My Gateway to the Basement and Still Have My Fios TV Box Work?
Bostenr1

The tech installed the gateway router on the first floor in my living room, not in the basement near the ONT.  Due to covid, I'm working from home so built a home office on 3rd floor of townhouse. I bought the Wi-Fi extender from Verizon and am using that through the cable connection on 3rd floor. I would rather have hardwire straight from the basement rather than deal with Wi-Fi because my printer doesn't like it. How would I move my gateway to the basement, so I can use the network ports on the back of it, and still have my Fios cable TV box work? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How Would I Move My Gateway to the Basement and Still Have My Fios TV Box Work?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bostenr wrote:

Thanks Edg1. There is already a splitter there and it provides coax to the 3rd floor which I use for the extender. Since that works, might be best to leave my router where it is and try to connect an 8 port unmanaged switch to the port on back of extender. 

Yes that will work fine too. You can also connect a fios network adapter in the basement too. It connects to coax also and provides 4 ethernet ports.  This way there is no need to move the router. There’s plenty of options. Any questions we are happy to help. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter

View solution in original post

Re: How Would I Move My Gateway to the Basement and Still Have My Fios TV Box Work?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

More information please. If you bought a FiOS Network Extender Gen 2 or FiOS Extender, they are coax-backhauled to the router. The ethernet ports at the back of those extenders should work as if they hardwired ethernet from the router.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very simple. You'll just need to run an ethernet from the ONT to the location in the basement where you want to put the router. You will also need to run a coax to the router as well. The coax won't tie directly into the ONT. There will be a cable splitter most likely near the ONT. You may need to buy one with more ports for the added run of coax. It's best if you get a MoCA 2.0 rated splitter. 

Bostenr1

Thanks Cang, I thought that was the case. So can I connect an 8 port unmanaged switch to the back of that extender? It has two ports. I have a switch under my desk that I want to run my laptop, printer and work desktop off. Additionally, I would like to run a cable from the second port over to my smart TV. Would that work? 

0 Likes
Bostenr1

Thanks Edg1. There is already a splitter there and it provides coax to the 3rd floor which I use for the extender. Since that works, might be best to leave my router where it is and try to connect an 8 port unmanaged switch to the port on back of extender. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bostenr wrote:

Yes that will work fine too. You can also connect a fios network adapter in the basement too. It connects to coax also and provides 4 ethernet ports.  This way there is no need to move the router. There’s plenty of options. Any questions we are happy to help. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter