I need VZ Support escalated to enable the FiOS ActionTec router to allow AirPrint printing?
bonfil3
Enthusiast - Level 1
I need escalated support to resolve an issue with the Verizon FiOS ActionTec router blocking Apple's AirPrint printing (Bonjour).  I tried for 2 1/2 hours to get some help from Verizon in enabling Multicast or in Opening UDP 5353 for Bonjour or (Apple) AirPrint printing... But the most I got was an attempt from an ActionTec Rep for me to setup Port Forwarding.

The tech support from the AirPrint device Manufacturer (Lantronix) said they've had received a number of calls regarding problems with the Verizon FiOS Actiontec router blocking Bonjour/AirPrint print service broadcasting, and that escalated support personnel have had the issue fixed within 5 minutes.  He said that a recent change on a router update had taken away the ability for the end user to fix this on their own. Prior to my call to him, I was on the phone for 2 and a half hours Wednesday night, on a conference support call between Verizon and ActionTec and got NOWHERE.

The Lantronix support person described that the solution was that I need someone from Verizon support to enable multicast or open UDP 5353 for Bonjour or (Apple) AirPrint printing so that I can get my AirPrint device to be recognized on my LAN by my wireless devices that print using Apple AirPrint.  Apparently a recent update to the router has taken away the end user ability to access those settings and they need to be done by Verizon.

The Lantronix FAQ on this issue...

Today however, when I'm home and have the time, I can't even get a call to Verizon.  How can I get support if the "Online Chat" is "not available", and I've been unable to dial a 1-800 number from my Verizon FiOS phone for the last 4 hours?!?!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I need VZ Support escalated to enable the FiOS ActionTec router to allow AirPrint printing?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it's technically a problem with apple and their latest implementation of bonjour, and supposedly apple is aware, but users on this and other forums, were able to disable that feature and get it working

IGMP proxy Hidden Menu

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

access that page from your fios location and log in, and then disable igmp proxy..  

View solution in original post

Re: I need VZ Support escalated to enable the FiOS ActionTec router to allow AirPrint printing?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it's technically a problem with apple and their latest implementation of bonjour, and supposedly apple is aware, but users on this and other forums, were able to disable that feature and get it working

IGMP proxy Hidden Menu

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

access that page from your fios location and log in, and then disable igmp proxy..  

bonfil3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah.  After I waited on hold with Verizon for 20 minutes, my issue was fixed in 2 minutes with that solution.   I just wish Verizon would NOTIFY their support representatives BETTER about these issues so I wouldh't have had to spend 2 1/2 hours on a conference call with both Verizon and Actiontec agents 2 nights ago, with nothing to show for it but INCREASED FRUSTRATION in the end.

limadelta

I followed these instructions to try to get airprint to work on a new airprint epson printer, and it still doesn't work.  Neither my iPad nor my iPhone finds the airprint printer.  I have rebooted everything multiple times, disabled the IGMP Proxy, and it just doesn't work.

I'm taking the new printer back to Staples tomorrow.  No idea whether the software problem lies with Apple, Verizon and it's amazing Actiontec, or Epson, but it JUST DOESNT WORK!

0 Likes