Inactive computers
AlexWang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the deal:

Last month I installed my Fios router which is claimed to be 100mbps. I first used my MacBook Pro to download games from steam... Wow, it reached 10mb/s! 

Then I used my Dell Inspiron 7577 and it turned out the speed was always oscillating around 500kb/s, whether on steam or other applications.

I went checking the online control panel and I found out that my MacBook Pro was said to be "Active" and Dell was "Inactive". I checked the difference between their settings, nothing else but port forwarding which I can't change.

I thought this might be where the problem originated. Can anyone tell me a way to turn the inactive device into an active device?

PS:

Before I installed Fios, I used Comcast and both computers are fast.  

Both computers are put in the same location.

When I plug Dell in ethernet, it is very fast.

Thanks to anybody who help me!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Inactive computers
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model router do you have?

Only G1100 supports 5G.

SSID can be set the same so you may not know if rotuer supports 5G or not until you either look in configs or use an app (for android only) called wifi analyzer.

It can show 2.4G and 5G networks.

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is definitely a WiFi problem.

From what I've seen, Macbooks often are smart enough to switch over to the faster, less crowded 5 GHz band. Sometimes PCs struggle between connecting to 2.4 GHz (an older, slower WiFI band), and 5 GHz. 

If you recall from your old Comcast setup, you probably had two networks. One probably looked like MY-NETWORK, and the other was MY-NETWORK-5G.

Verizon routers on the other hand combine both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks into one name, and its up to the device to pick which band it connects too. 

I'd suggest you add a -5G network, and force your Dell to connect to that, and then re-do speed tests. Heres how to do that:

Login to your router at the following address: http://192.168.1.1/

The username / password is on a sticker on the side of the router.

Click Wireless Settings on the top bar. 

You should see a status page.

Now, in the left bar, click "Basic Security Settings". 

You should now see a page as follows:

In the text box titled 5 GHz SSID: add -5G to your network name, like so:

Lastly, scroll down and click "Apply".

You should now see the new -5G network on your device. Connect to that, and forget the old network on your device. 

Re-run speed tests, and see if you still have the issue. When testing speed, make sure you are using the official Verizon speedtest (https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/) to get the most accurate results. 

AlexWang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Justin

Thanks for the information. However, there is one problem: In my router settings, there is no 5Ghz option under basic wireless settings. I guess that may be the difference between a $39.99 combo and $79.99 combo???

Also for the Comcast one, there is only one SSID,  not sure if it's a 2.4 or 5G.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model router do you have?

Only G1100 supports 5G.

SSID can be set the same so you may not know if rotuer supports 5G or not until you either look in configs or use an app (for android only) called wifi analyzer.

It can show 2.4G and 5G networks.

AlexWang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, mine is definitely not G1100. It's orange and black...I forgot its name.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AlexWang wrote:

Oh, mine is definitely not G1100. It's orange and black...I forgot its name.

Actiontec sound familiar?

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/actiontec-mi424wr

0 Likes