Installation fee? Hardware installed already
Vince1217

I have an appointment for a 50/50 fiber installation this coming Wednesday. I'm paying $90.00 for installation, although there is already a Verizon box with a fiber hookup and an ONT on the side of my house, along with the power box for the ONT still plugged in and running in the house. Power light and network lights are still green on ONT. Is it not possible for Fios to activate the device remotely, and allow me to run my own Cat5 wire directly from the ONT to a router to set up my internet? I don't see why exactly I'm paying the install charge. I am considering cancelling and switching to Xfinity after being offered 50mbs at the same price tag along with a waived installation fee.

0 Likes
Re: Installation fee? Hardware installed already
jonjones1
Legend

@Vince1217 wrote:

I have an appointment for a 50/50 fiber installation this coming Wednesday. I'm paying $90.00 for installation, although there is already a Verizon box with a fiber hookup and an ONT on the side of my house, along with the power box for the ONT still plugged in and running in the house. Power light and network lights are still green on ONT. Is it not possible for Fios to activate the device remotely, and allow me to run my own Cat5 wire directly from the ONT to a router to set up my internet? I don't see why exactly I'm paying the install charge. I am considering cancelling and switching to Xfinity after being offered 50mbs at the same price tag along with a waived installation fee.

Depending on what you pay for that speed I would look to see if Gigabyte service is available at your location.

$69.99 for internet only 1024/1024 but will see around 940/880 and if you order online it is free install.

50/50 is probably ok and you may be able to do a self install via having the Ethernet already installed and having your own router.

but the install may be to run the line and hook up the Verizon router.

1-800-VERIZON ask them for options.

Good Luck 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might call and ask for self installation.

Are you doing Internet only?

Do you have ethernet from ONT to location of router?

0 Likes
Innernette

I somehow got a free installation fee for setting up my install online.  My installation was done on 6.8.17 and Bill, my installer went over a lot of options with me, even after I gave him the option of an "easy way out", he kept asking questions and making suggestions until we found a spot to install the wall jack that was convinent for my needs, not his installation.  The installer is there to run a wall jack from the outside box essentially.  As this had not been previously done in my house, it was well worth it as Bill had to go through 3 walls to place the wall jack in a convient spot, but as I stated, I had obtained a free install so it was well worth it.  Also, if you are using your own router, check for compatibility issues with fiber.

I only had this experience with my installer and am not sure if he has good training or is just great at his job.

0 Likes
KriZtee
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did this get resolved? I have a similar problem where I got charged a $99 installation fee even though I was told it would be waived. Absoloutely absurd, the verizon customer service lied and told me it would not be a fee.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible that Verizon is charging the install fee because they are sending a tech to replace the ONT (let us know what the ONT model is - it will be replaced if BPON) and/or install an Ethernet connection to the location where your router will be at, since Verizon treats all new installs as Ethernet only.

With that said, if you have a GPON ONT and Ethernet already installed to where you want the router to live, I'm sure you can get the installation fee waived!

0 Likes