Installing Mobile Wi-Fi Hot Spot App issue on 2nd laptop
FIOS_user_LA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have downloaded the Mobile Wi-Fi App for Hot Spot and installed properly on my primary Windows 7 laptop.  This included setting up user id and password for wi-fi connection.  This took quite an effort with help from mobile technical support.  But I did it !

However I am not able to resolve setting up for my second laptop computer under Windows 7.   Verizon told me that I can set up on up to 3 laptops.   The issue comes about during the app installation.  It asked to enter password with a default user ID of null.  There is no option to change the user id from null to my user id.  Of course it will not match my password entered.  So my mobile app installation stalled in the middle and could not continue.  I have repeatedly tried this installation with same error.  And I called technical support but this time he cannot help.  He remoted desktop in and saw my error and couldn't do anything.

Has anyone set up Mobile Wi-Fi App for more than 1 laptop computer?

Has anyone encounter this authentication error?

Is there any mobile Wi-Fi user out there?

Any help appreciated.

TIA

0 Likes
Re: Installing Mobile Wi-Fi Hot Spot App issue on 2nd laptop
izzyizzo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having precisely this problem -- up until a few months ago, and for at least 2 years, I had Verizon Wi-Fi Connect set up on two laptops (both XP). Recently I replaced them both and have been trying to install Wi-Fi Connect with no luck. I'm getting the same "null" problem that you describe. The problem occurs:

- On both laptops (1 = Win 7 Home HP, 1 = Win 7 Pro Dell)

- Whether I'm trying to install using my FiOS network, another wi-fi network, or even mobile tethering.

- Whether I'm trying to install from Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer.

- Even if all security software is turned off.

I'm betting there's a simple explanation and solution that's just not particularly clear... what say you, Verizon or FiOS fanboys?

And has anyone *successfully* installed Wi-Fi on a Win7 machine within the past few days? Maybe this is a general bug, not just our problem...

0 Likes
FIOS_user_LA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took my Verizon Wi-Fi app enabled laptop to couple of the Starbucks stores listed to try out.   Pretty useless.  Did not find any Verizon hot spot signals even though it is listed in the directory.  There are plenty of unsecured Wi-Fi signals you can just connect to.  This Starbuck place uses an open ATT wifi line for everyone.  So really don't need the Verizon app.  Seemed to spend a lot of time on this for nothing.   Most popular places have open WiFi signals.    

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FIOS_user_LA wrote:

I took my Verizon Wi-Fi app enabled laptop to couple of the Starbucks stores listed to try out.   Pretty useless.  Did not find any Verizon hot spot signals even though it is listed in the directory.  There are plenty of unsecured Wi-Fi signals you can just connect to.  This Starbuck place uses an open ATT wifi line for everyone.  So really don't need the Verizon app.  Seemed to spend a lot of time on this for nothing.   Most popular places have open WiFi signals.    

Guess you just discovered why nobody had much success with it.

I tried it on an xp laptop, never found anywhere I could use it.

Now just turn on the portable hot spot on my galaxy nexus and connect the laptop that way - xp or w7 using regular wifi instead of the huge vz client.

0 Likes
043NJuser

Same problems as you with Hot Spot installation.

Same experience with open WiFi at local starbucks.

But I would like to be able to use the feature if and when I need it in the future when I am not able to connect at a Starbucks.

Verizon Customer service should test all the services they market to customers - just like they did when they ran 'Can you hear me now" campaign for VerizonWireles service.

Very disappointing and frustrating when real-world experience is so far removed from the simple directions provided on the website.

0 Likes
izzyizzo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Admittedly there's not a lot of places where this is necessary at the moment due to a recent trend in opening Wi-Fi hotspots, but if you travel a lot, it's *very* useful in larger airports where paid Wi-Fi is still the rule of the day. Yes, I don't connect on VZW Wi-Fi as often as I do AT&T Wi-Fi (access I have due to my mobile phone), but every time I do connect with Verizon, I save something like $10. 

Which makes it even more annoying that I still can't install it on my new Win7 machines. I really need to suck it up and start calling tech support -- it just sounds like such a painful process...

0 Likes
FIOS_user_LA
Enthusiast - Level 2

This Wifi app installation issue seems to be a software bug that has to be addressed by their software engineering.  The technical support team has no clue how to resolve it.  It installs fine on a Win7 machine if it is an initial install.  The issue is for subsequent install after your account has been set up as the account id is not being passed through. 

Verizon WiFi hotspot seemed to be around since 7/2009.  I am surprised after 4 years, Verizon doesn't know and has not addressed it.  Win7 has been around since 6/2009.  Wifi App does not run on Win8.  Many people still use Win7.  I hope Verizon is reading this and really do something.  Somewhat disappointing experience.   Notice no Verizon moderator replied to this thread.

For those who want to pursue further. The direct Verizon Mobile WiFi support number is 877-346-3053.   If you call the regular support number, it will take your several bounce to get to the right place.   I spent a whole afternoon with them on this. 

izzyizzo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply and for the heads-up. I'll avoid the time, then.

Curiously, I've managed to install this on at least 4 laptops total over the years, though the most in use at any given time was 2. But, to your point, I've only ever gotten it on one Win7 machine. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, this kind of annoys me. Maybe I will call to complain -- they've removed a valuable service (literally valuable, it actually saves me money every time I use it, and costs me money when it's not available) yet not credited my account for taking it away.

0 Likes