IP Address Range
FGH2453

I'm trying to connect to a remote server via SSH but am told that I need to supply an IP address for my computer (or address range since IP addresses seem to be assigned dynamically by Verizon) so it can be added to the firewall.

How can I determine what range of IP address I may be assigned (in CIDR formatting)?

I tried calling Verizon but they said that they couldn't tell me an answer to this...

Thanks for any help...

0 Likes
Re: IP Address Range
csd67
Enthusiast - Level 2

I assume you mean you are ssh'ing to a server over the internet - if so - you can go to google and type "What is my IP"

It will return the public facing IP Address you are coming from.   This doesn't mean it will be exactly the same as the one you may be coming from tomorrow however but you can probably use it to give a range.  For instance - if it returns 100.0.92.115 you could ask them if they can add 100.0.92/24 to the firewall.   If later you can't get in run the "What is my IP" again and make sure the first 3 numbers didn't change.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon can assign an IP address from anywhere in their residential network, to a particular connection at any time.

On a temporary basis, provide them with your IP which can be found at http://www.whatismyip.com/ . In CIDR format, provide your IP address followed by a /32 to note that it's a single IP address.

Now, if you need to have a persistent connection to this server, and you don't want to run the risk of losing access to the server, there are two options.

1. Upgrade to business class FiOS and purchase a Static IP
  2. Set up Dynamic DNS (often free) on your FiOS connection. Then, have the owner of the remote server programatically check for, and update the whitelist entry for your IP address.
  3. The third option is to simply reach out to the server owner if your IP address changes, to regain access.
FGH2453

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

0 Likes