Re: IPv6 expanding! FINALLY!
Anonymous
Not applicable

A report late last week from MA came in (and today the IPv6 test area in MA received the update to get full ICMP traceroutes too)... additional reports today from two areas in RI and our first report from NY in the Buffalo area.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ChristopherDeez wrote:
Account number ending in: Hi, Verizon is upgrading the software on your Fios Router to provide Wi-Fi and security enhancements as well as to refresh the user interface for configuring your router. We expect to make this update in your area on August 20, 2021. Be aware that when the Fios Router software is updated, it may impact some of the settings that you have configured through your router user interface. Specifically, if you defined Port Forwarding rules, you may need to re-enter some of them through the upgraded user interface, including: Any rules that were drafted within the Advanced - Network Settings - Port Forwarding Rules section. Any rules which contain source and destination ports which do not match.

Regarding Port Forwarding wipe out for firmware 3.1.0.12, you are half right and half wrong about the notification. Although there was the possibility of PFs being wiped out, the notification did not go in details as to why the PFs would be wiped out. 3.1.0.12's PF implementation was more restrictive than previous versions. If users had configured AH, ESP, or GRE protocol forwarding through Advanced Port Forwarding Rules, those rules would be wiped because 3.1.0.12 no longer supported the forwarding of these protocols. Nonetheless, mentioning this is really a moot point, as 3.1.0.16 restores the ability of forwarding AH, ESP, and GRE protocols. You probably did not receive a further email about the restoration of the previous PF functions.

3.1.0.17 firmware adds SIP-ALG support for VoIP services. Did you receive a notification about this?

My point is, from legal and operation perspectives, unless the law requires it, the less technical information you tell a customer the better, doing otherwise is inviting floods of calls to the support centers and inducing unnecessary worries from customers.

This Forum is different, although public, but kind of remote from the customers, as very few VZ products refer to this Forum. Users who can locate this place is probably more technical than usual, so you will encounter other advanced users and get advanced information.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I discovered mid-week last week that IPv6 was enabled overnight on my G3100 router in Acton, MA.  Log files indicated about an hour of internet outage around 1AM.

My IPv6 testing indicated that DNS will stop working under non-dual-stack conditions (admittedly in the very distant future) because Verizon did not provision IPv6 DNS entries.

I manually added Cloudflare's IPv6 DNS entries in "Advanced/Network Settings/IPv6/Specify the method to be used to obtain your WAN IPv6 Address/Use the following IPv6 DNS Server address" and IPv6 testing now indicates full compliance. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

To my understanding that VZ does not have its own DNSv6 servers at the moment. This could be wrong though. You need to use third-party DNS servers.

Since DNS server is an OPTIONAL field in the DHCP transaction, I am not sure VZ is compelled by RFCs to include a DNS server while offering a routable IPv6.

Cross Ref: RFC 8415, RFC 3646

Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

FYI Southern RI seems to be live with IPv6 now. My guess is the whole state is live. 15/20 on https://ipv6-test.com using default native settings on a RT-AX86u.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

Since DNS server is an OPTIONAL field in the DHCP transaction, I am not sure VZ is compelled by RFCs to include a DNS server while offering a routable IPv6.

Cross Ref: RFC 8415, RFC 3646

Eh, yeah... I've seen this a lot with other ISPs. My ISP, Charter (formerly Time Warner Cable) would provide IPv6 but not IPv6 resolvers. If you have a router capable of specifying IPv6 DNS servers and inserting it into a Router Announcement, that resolves the stack issue that crops up if IPv4 drops off for any reason.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The last 10 days have had lots of activity... 

More reports from RI and MA (got a report that one of the CO's in/near Framingham MA may be providing IPv6, though haven't yet determined which one), and a lot more from NJ, including a CO in Jersey City. 

A bit of activity also reported in PA, in suburbs south of Philadelphia.

No additional reports from NY. I'm expecting that NYC will likely be among the last areas to receive IPv6.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports continue to come in for MA and NJ... And the NYC metro area has started receiving IPv6 as well this week!! Reports from a CO in Harlem and one in Queens, as well as some additional progress observed in upstate New York. 

0 Likes
rongyi

IPv6 live in UES now.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, got 2 reports from the Upper East Side over on DSLR today as well... one specifically provided the Verizon central office on 79th St as the CO serving them.

0 Likes