Is it possible to have a wired only Internet from Fios?
New2Fiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am with Optimum which changed the coax cable into a fiber without my consent. They installed a combo and the transmitting router cannot be turned off and it's right next to my laptop and myself. They lied that they disabled the WiFi as I requested but it cannot be disabled on their combo.
I am considering Fios. Do they install ONT without WiFI ? I'd like to have my own router only which I will turn on-off only when I need. I do not want to have WiFi all the time ON when I am online.  Is this possible with Fios?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it possible to have a wired only Internet from Fios?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're making this too complicated.  Here are the key points:

• A router is required.
  • A router plugs into the ONT using Ethernet.
  • A router provides LAN Ethernet connections (typically 4) for your device(s)
  • Most consumer routers include WiFi.  It can be turned off.  This includes the Verizon models.
  • Commercial routers typically do not have WiFi built-in.  They cost hundreds or even thousands more than consumer routers and can be more complex to configure (as they are support complex networks.)  If you really want to spend more for a commercial router, say so and some folk here may make recommendations.

Here's an easy option for you:

• Subscribe to Fios.
  • Buy or rent a Verizon router, so you can get support from Verizon.
  • Have the Verizon tech install the router and connect via Ethernet to your computer.
  • Login to the router's web page and turn off WiFi.

If you don't want to use Verizon's router, here's what to do:

• Subscribe to Fios.
  • Buy a router from your favorite source for electronics.
  • Follow the installation instructions for the router, which will include these steps at some point:
    • Connect the router's WAN port to the ONT's WAN port via Ethernet
    • Connect your computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.
  • After the above is complete, login to the router's web page and turn off WiFi.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios users who do not subscribe to cable TV often replace the Verizon provided router with their own.

The one downside to this is that Verizon troubleshooting would only go as far as the ONT itself. Beyond that the subscriber would be responsible for everything else.

The workaround would be to reconnect the Verizon router when needing the assistance of Verizon technicians.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely Yes.

The ONT is not a router.  It connects to the fiber network to your home.  It provides an Ethernet link to a router for WAN data.  It does not have any WiFi hardware.

You can use any router you like and configure it however you like.  As noted, the use of a non-Verizon router means support ends at the ONT.  If you know how to spell TCP/IP, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

However, if you get Verizon TV service and their set-top-boxes, it's difficult to get everything working without a Verizon router.  And the lack of support is a larger problem, as they won't debug set-top-box issues with a non-Verizon router in the mix.  This is because the Verizon router creates a MoCA LAN on coax for the boxes.

New2Fiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much! This is encouraging. I'd rather learn how to deal with TCP/IP and the router than be exposed to a strong WiFi emitting in front of me.
I had a separate router with Optimum for many years and had no issues. And I could turn it on only when I needed and was not near it. Hopefully, I can get a similar situation with Verizon.
I'll give them a call again. I called a week ago and asked about not having WiFi but they could not understand what I wanted and eventually hung up on me.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has/had a promotion where customers would receive a rental router that would not incur a monthly rental charge if gigabit service was ordered.

If you're ordering gigabit service, and the promotion is still active, the G3100 router can be tucked away for use on an as-needed basis.

New2Fiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the process of switching to Fios. I asked them how many ethernet ports are on their ONT. They said only one!
I was hoping I can connect my laptop in one room and also run an ethernet cable outside to enter the living room where I use another laptop. This does not seem to be possible!

Does anyone know how could people have wired connections in different locations?
Is there anyway to put something to "split" the ethernet jack like we can do with an electric outlet or could do with a phone jack?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The G3100 has one Ethernet input and four Ethernet outputs. In addition, switches can be added to increase the number of devices that can connect to the router. 🙂

New2Fiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@New2Fiber wrote:

I am in the process of switching to Fios. I asked them how many ethernet ports are on their ONT. They said only one!
I was hoping I can connect my laptop in one room and also run an ethernet cable outside to enter the living room where I use another laptop. This does not seem to be possible!

Does anyone know how could people have wired connections in different locations?
Is there anyway to put something to "split" the ethernet jack like we can do with an electric outlet or could do with a phone jack?

The ONT has only one WAN Ethernet port.  It must connect to a router.  The router creates a LAN which can have many devices (up to about 250 with a typical consumer router.)  Consumer routers often have four LAN Ethernet ports.  If that's not enough, buy a router with more ports or use an external Ethernet switch.  And, WiFi provides additional LAN connectivity for as many devices (up to a large limit) as you like.

Do NOT connect a switch to the ONT.  It won't work, as the ONT Ethernet must connect to a router.  A switch does not have the capability to create the WAN to LAN connections; that's the job of a router.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Do NOT connect a switch to the ONT.  It won't work, as the ONT Ethernet must connect to a router.  A switch does not have the capability to create the WAN to LAN connections; that's the job of a router.

I have a slight tiny correction: Do NOT connect an unmanaged networking switch to the ONT.

If you want to connect a networking switch, you must follow at least these requirements:

#1 It must be a managed switch.

#2 It must support VLANs.

#3 You must know how to set VLANs.

#4 and finally what settings for the VLANs to use.

By at least these, means in case I missed anything.

@gs0b wrote

And, WiFi provides additional LAN connectivity for as many devices (up to a large limit) as you like.

I have my two cents about that too. That will depend of the type of 802.11 wireless used.

Wireless 802.11 b (Wireless Standard 1) has less range then Wireless 802.11 ax (Wireless Standard 6).

b, a, g, n, ac, ax

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

[EDIT] If I got Wireless Standard 5 and 6 backwards, I am sorry - that happens to me time to time.