Is my setup creating a Double Nat?
Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’ve recently setup a Nest mesh system while keeping the Actiontec Verizon Router connected due to us having Fios tv as well. I noticed sometimes the internet would disconnect intermittently for a couple minutes, and when working from home I need to have stable connection all day. I went through the actiontec logs and saw this randomly throughout the day and not sure what can be causing this or if this is the issue to the drops. 

LAN Coax Link Rate <TX 214Mbps/RX 211Mbps>

LAN Coax Link Low Rate <TX 0Mbps/RX 0Mbps>
LAN Coax Link Up

LAN Coax Link down 

I also have an Actiontec Moca adapter in one my rooms connected to a set top box to get wired Ethernet in that room (I also noticed that the Coax light goes off randomly during the day causing me to lose internet on that as well). 

Here’s my setup to get a better understanding:

ONT -> COAX -> Fios Router (Turned WiFi off on router, keeping DHCP on. Have 1 pc hardwired to actiontec.)

WAN port of Nest -> LAN port of FiOS router (Verizon router gave Nest router a static iP and Nest is now handling DHCP for all wireless device). Is there a double NAT issue here? 

The MOCA adapter in the room connected to the STB might be it’s own issue, but why is it losing internet access randomly (Coax light turning off and on throughout the day)? Could it be the splitter? Or could my issue be the entire ONT? This issue has been exhausting and I can’t figure out how to create a stable network. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is my setup creating a Double Nat?
Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@appDev wrote:

I am not sure that it's worth troubleshooting, but yeah - if you are able to, get the ONT switched over to ethernet.

And get a new router from them as well, if you're still renting. You should at least get a G1100, if not a G3100 (if its included for free).

AND - my personal advice here - do rent the official router for at least a few days to ensure everything works well. If you have the tech come in and want to use your router right away, not sure how much you'll be supported.

If you've already bought your router, setting it in bridge mode and in the first step after ONT will give you ability to troubleshoot in case there are any outages. if not, it's completely your call.

Well I figured out what was causing that Coax Link light to constantly go off and on on the Fios Router. The Moca adapter I have setup in one of the rooms that’s connected to the set to box for Ethernet access is what’s causing that problem and on demand/guide to not work on my entire system (4 set top boxes. Idk why but that’s a completely other issue. Maybe it’s cus I have another splitter going into the Moca adapter? As soon as I took it off on demand/guide started working on all TVs. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I do not know how to solve the issue of losing randomly Internet Access, I can try to help out..

#1 To help users help you better, what is the exact model of that Actiontec Verizon Router?

..and answer at least one of your questions.

Yes, that is double NAT.

#2 You should be able to convert the second router into acting as if it was only a hub/switch/wap.

REF https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

In my own words that FAQ.

#1 In the primary NAT router:

a) find the DHCP Range.

b) Make sure that it does not occupy the whole subnet.

c) If it occupy the whole subnet, make it smaller.

For example with it at 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.2 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then you could change it so that the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 

#2 For that other router, you must:

a) Have it disconnected at this step.

b) Set it's LAN IP Address with the same Subnet as the primary but outside of the DHCP Range of the Primary router's DHCP Range.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then the other router's LAN IP Address could be 192.168.1.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in the second RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#3 Once you make those changes, now you can connect both of those routers together but this time LAN to LAN.

Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the issue with LAN to LAN is the bridge method. Nest WiFi cannot be bridged because the primary nest router needs to hand out ip addresses in order for the additional nest extenders to work. This method would work if I was only using 1 Nest Router. 

Also to answer the first question, I have the Actiontec Rev I model (Red bands) 

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

in this case, is there a reason why you cannot set the main actiontec router in bridge mode and leave the nest to act as a primary router?

Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@appDev wrote:

in this case, is there a reason why you cannot set the main actiontec router in bridge mode and leave the nest to act as a primary router?

Is it okay to do this when having tv? If so what is the proper way to set the Fios router in bridge mode?

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Its certainly possible to do, but off you go into the rabbit hole - see the stickied post on this forum - https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

I didn't want to type my instructions from memory and mislead you.

The simplest solution for keeping TV functionality is to have ONT -> FiosRouter -> Nest like you have, but the coax still stays on the Fios router, just that its in "bridged Mode" and you use LAN port 2 on the router to connect to your main nest router. It will take a restart of the fios router, and once that is done, no easy way to get back into it's settings without resetting it.

I would say give yourself an hour or so to make sure everything can be tested. The process isn't as complicated, but you want to make sure your network/devices are all good, and more than likely will need to restart your nest router after the Fios Quantum router. Just don't do it five minutes before an important meeting 🙂

Happy to help if you have more questions.

Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@appDev wrote:

Its certainly possible to do, but off you go into the rabbit hole - see the stickied post on this forum - https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

I didn't want to type my instructions from memory and mislead you.

The simplest solution for keeping TV functionality is to have ONT -> FiosRouter -> Nest like you have, but the coax still stays on the Fios router, just that its in "bridged Mode" and you use LAN port 2 on the router to connect to your main nest router. It will take a restart of the fios router, and once that is done, no easy way to get back into it's settings without resetting it.

I would say give yourself an hour or so to make sure everything can be tested. The process isn't as complicated, but you want to make sure your network/devices are all good, and more than likely will need to restart your nest router after the Fios Quantum router. Just don't do it five minutes before an important meeting 🙂

Happy to help if you have more questions.

Thank you for the link. I’ve spent hours researching and it appears every guide is stating Ethernet must be enabled from the ONT to direct the cable into the WAN port of the personal router. I currently have 100/100 so they never needed to convert us to Ethernet. I might have to have a Fios tech come out and do this process for me and feed a long Ethernet to the Ont, since it’s a bit difficult to do since the cable runs along side the entire house. I might as well upgrade to the 200/200 for an extra $10/mo which will give them a reason to come out anyways...

I do have a question though. How is it that I got around to making my setup work for the last few weeks anyways? As stated in my original post I connected to the lan port of the actiontec into the Wan of the Nest and all our devices have been running fast, but with the occasional random drop outs. I will never get to the conclusion, because seeing that LAN Coax Link Up, LAN Coax Link Down randomly throughout the day is what’s throwing me off. Idk if that’s the reason to the disconnects or if that’s totally something different. 

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

I am not sure that it's worth troubleshooting, but yeah - if you are able to, get the ONT switched over to ethernet.

And get a new router from them as well, if you're still renting. You should at least get a G1100, if not a G3100 (if its included for free).

AND - my personal advice here - do rent the official router for at least a few days to ensure everything works well. If you have the tech come in and want to use your router right away, not sure how much you'll be supported.

If you've already bought your router, setting it in bridge mode and in the first step after ONT will give you ability to troubleshoot in case there are any outages. if not, it's completely your call.

Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@appDev wrote:

Well I figured out what was causing that Coax Link light to constantly go off and on on the Fios Router. The Moca adapter I have setup in one of the rooms that’s connected to the set to box for Ethernet access is what’s causing that problem and on demand/guide to not work on my entire system (4 set top boxes. Idk why but that’s a completely other issue. Maybe it’s cus I have another splitter going into the Moca adapter? As soon as I took it off on demand/guide started working on all TVs.