Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Is the Quantum Gateway needed for me?

adl5848
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Is the Quantum Gateway needed for me?

Message 1 of 5
(1,050 Views)

I currently have the 75/75 package along with the MI42WR Rev. I router, the red one. Is this one enough for my needs, streaming, etc.? Is it necessary to order the Quantum Gateway? If you have Quantum Internet which My Verizon says I do then you should have the Gateway by default. It sounds like they are trying to just beat us for money. Has anyone actually upgraded and experience better WiFi speeds or even hard-wired speeds?

4 REPLIES 4
eljefe
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Re: Is the Quantum Gateway needed for me?

Message 2 of 5
(1,044 Views)

I have the 75/75 plan as well, and an Actiontec Rev I router.  My wired connection speeds consistently test at 80 mb/s or better.   Wireless speeds are also right up near 75/75 if I'm fairly close to the router.

The biggest shortcoming of the Actiontec Rev I is not having 802.11ac availability.  If you need that, an upgrade may be worthwhile.

The Gateway router hasn't been out long.  There have been a few posters reporting experices with the new unit.  You should able to search for forum and find them.  None of them have made me want to run out and replace my Rev I.

optivity
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 3 of 5
(1,016 Views)

Your wireless clients (TV, Playstation, XBox, etc.) will only benefit from a wireless "n" or "ac" router if they too have wireless "n" or "ac" network adapters.

Most older wireless devices support only wireless b/g 54 Mbps throughput.

Netflix requires approximately 6 Mbps to stream HD content.

CaptainSTX
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 5
(968 Views)

It would be really old in technology standards for routers and devices not to support N standards either on 2.4 Ghz and/or 5 Ghz.   The standard dates for 2009.

Telcoguru
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 5
(929 Views)

You do not need a new router. It is just a way to get you to spend $150. The new router has horrible wireless range. Do not waste your money.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title