Just give me a straight answer. (Wireless issues)
Feastfulsaint
I have a two story house with an office deep in the garage. I currently use the mi424wr which is located in a central location in my home where there's multiple wireless devices connected to them. Within my garage I get no signal. At first I thought it was the band width so I upgraded and nothing still. I was told that I should Move the modem into my office and connect it directly. Did that, I get a signal, but everything else does not. Then was told to get a second router and connect it to the fios modem and have them side by side... So I should have two modems right next to each other? So why can't I just get a more powerful one and just replace the one Verizon supplied me. Oh yes, my television won't work. Then I was told to go into my router and change the setting. Didn't work. Was told o get a booster, but the only ones that are compatible with the router are no longer made and are in a constant bidding wars in eBay. Then was told to run an Ethernet line from the living room, down the stairs, through the hall, laundry room, half of the garage and into my office... Really. Then Was told that maybe i should move the office closer to the modem... so I ask if Verizon offers a more powerful router. They say yes, but they have none available. So what gives? All I want is to do my work, why should I sit in a room with 3 teenagers and 2 Tweens just so I can get a decent signal? Please help.
0 Likes
Re: Just give me a straight answer. (Wireless issues)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your garage by chance have aluminum insuation or other thick materials such as brick or concrete, separating the signals from in the garage, to the rest of the house? If that's the case, you've essentially got a faraday cage. The most effective way to fix this is to use a Wired connection. Using a booster on the other end of the garage wall to try to fix this won't do much besides degrade the spectrum in your area further, and speeds won't be too good.

You can get a Wired connection through Powerline, by runing CAT5e/CAT6a cabling, or by using available Coaxial cable via MoCa. From here, you can install another Wireless access point or simply wire up the devices you need.

If you could describe where your ONT is located, and how you got a Wired connection to your garage when you re-located the router, we can help get this squared away. For now, leave your router in the central location it's located at, where it's likely already giving optimal reception to the places where others use it, except for your garage.

0 Likes
Re: Just give me a straight answer. (Wireless issues)
Feastfulsaint
I Fixed the problem by getting a signal booster and placed it by the garage door.
0 Likes