Just had gigabyte installed with the triband 4x4 router.
Mozuch
Enthusiast - Level 1

After the tech left I noticed the PC connected via ethernet was labeled simply Network.  The wireless was labelled as Fios-7rxxxx.

Overnight my PC rebooted and the ethernet "network" disappeared and there was only Fios7fxxx left.  What happened to my ethernet connection?

I disconnected the network cable from the PC and lost connection.  when I plugged it back in there was still only network choice of Fios-7rxxxx which is the wireless name.

How do I get back to the faster ethernet connection with a network cable?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just had gigabyte installed with the triband 4x4 router.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Speed tests and link speed are two very different things.

Link speed is the available bandwidth on the connection.  Actual speed to a particular site varies based on a lot of external factors that have nothing to do with link speed.

Run the Verizon speed test.  It will verify speed to your router, and then to your device.

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

If the speed to the router is too low (say 700Mbps or less), open a support case with Verizon.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Windows 10 sometimes puts the WiFi name on the Ethernet connection.  I think it does this when it figures out both connections are part of the same network.  You can tell if the computer is connected to Ethernet by looking at the network icon in the task bar.  If it's the typical WiFi symbol, you're on WiFi.  If it looks like a screen with a cable next to it, you're on Ethernet.

If you're comfortable with the command prompt, run ipconfig.  Find the network adapter with an assigned LAN IP address and see if it's labeled "Ethernet adapter" or "Wireless LAN adapter."

Mozuch
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. 

I checked under network settings and there were 2 almost identical names but one labelled Ethernet and the other wireless.  The Ethernet one said it was connected.

Under properties it stated rate = @ 1 GB/sec but that's not what I'm getting on speed tests.  It is faster (350mg) than what I had but not what was advertised.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Speed tests and link speed are two very different things.

Link speed is the available bandwidth on the connection.  Actual speed to a particular site varies based on a lot of external factors that have nothing to do with link speed.

Run the Verizon speed test.  It will verify speed to your router, and then to your device.

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

If the speed to the router is too low (say 700Mbps or less), open a support case with Verizon.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The speed indication on Windows Network and Sharing Center or Adapter Properties/Settings shows the maximum layer 2 link speed from the computer to the router/switch. This only means that you can achieve 1Gbps between your computer and the router. Your subscription speed 350Mbps indicates the maximum link speed between your ONT to Verizon's upstream network. This two speeds indicate totally different things.

Your Internet connection will be as fast as the slowest link speed (bottlenecking). In your case, your subscription speed will bottleneck your Internet traffic to a maximum of 350Mbps.