kid proof my internet
janetsued

I have been unplugging the fios transmitter in our home on occasion when my kids won't do their work.  When I try to reconnect it things like my wireless printer and netflix service have problems.  Are  there any other ideas on how to disconnect the internet service without unplugging it?

0 Likes
Re: kid proof my internet
Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

If they are using a wireless connection, you could simply turn the wireless off.

Alternately, you can use the parental controls in the router configuration to disable access to specific devices.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

verizon also offers pretty comprehensive parental control software for free.   login at www.verizon.com/freetools

Verizon Parental Controls
Provide a Safer Browsing Experience for Your Family

Parental Controls gives you the tools to block access to certain websites and let you choose who can use the Internet and when

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If you go under MY NETWORK and in the device you want to block you can say block that device and even set a time of day.  So maybe you want to block internet to those devices (laptops, desktop, IPHONEs, etc) from 3pm to 6pm you can do that.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the past using the router's Parental Controls has been known to reduce the speed of the Internet Service. Best to speed check once enabling that to ensure you get what you pay for if you decide to do so.

But I do second the option to simply shut off the Wireless access on a per-device basis. Put what you can on Ethernet, attach your computer to Ethernet, and just log into the router and switch it off. You'll have Internet, be close to the router to supervise it, and you'll be able to turn it on when needed within a few seconds. Should be pretty flawless. Now if devices won't associate correctly (and I've found this to be common with some wireless printers), it's not the router's fault. It's usually something with the device having a bug in the software on it.