MI424MR Rev. I Wifi issue/question
ricevideo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there and thanks in advance for any advice.

Issue I am having is that I cannot get ANY wireless N device to connect to the actiontec any faster than 65mbps. I have the 802.11 mode set to "Performance802.11N" And have tried every device I have that I know is capable of at minimum 150mbps (yes I *know* theoretical) Including having a wireless 300 USB adapter in a computer literally 3 feet away from the router and am still limited to only 65mbps.

I admit to being wireless ignorant and am wondering if there is something that could be wrong? Either a setting I need to look at or a bad router?

As an FYI. Before posting here I did a complete factory reset, changed mode to "Performance" again, and cycled through the wifi channels to eliminate any settings issues I might have caused and still no change.

Router is MI424WR GEN3I

Hardware Version: I

Firmware 40.19.22

0 Likes
Re: MI424MR Rev. I Wifi issue/question
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a huge difference between what the rated speeds are and what you actually get as you're most definitely aware. On each of your devices, could you give us the name and model of the Wireless card in use? Each system should explain what card it uses. The reason I ask is, with Wireless N you're dealing with a technology, MIMO that was pioneered back in the days of Wireless G and not widely adapted until Wireless N came about. In addition, with Wireless N they opened the floodgates to allow consumer-grade manufacturing of the devices before the standard was truly standardized. As such, you'll find Wireles N chips that can do Up to 65Mbps, Up to 72.2Mbps, Up to 130Mbps, up to 144Mbps, up to 300Mbps, up to 500Mbps, and up to 650Mbps. The speeds you get are determined based on what Encryption you use first of all, which absolutely must be none or WPA2 AES, the amount of radio streams being used (1x1, 2x1, 2x2, 3x2, 3x3....), Guard Intervals, Preambles, Antenna quality, signal quality, and the quality of the chipset being used. You're also dealing with newer types of signaling. You're also at the mercy of your Wireless NIC Drivers and settings, and of course, if your system is dated possibly your Operating System.

Often times, 130Mbps chips are lower end 2x2 radios that do 65Mbps in 20Mhz mode, or if you are running in 40Mhz mode which you should not do in 2.4Ghz unless there's no other signal that can be picked up, 130Mbps. The same goes with higher end 2x2 radios where 144Mbps is 20Mhz, and 300Mbps is 40Mhz. The thing with this is, both radios at each end must be able to accomplish such speeds and be able to associate identically. Otherwise, you see them falling back to Draft N/Single Stream N speeds such as 65Mbps or to less than ideal speeds.

It's a huge mess as to how they pronounced the Wireless N standard. When Wireless G came out, you had Wireless B, or Wireless G. As G matured you maybe had a proprietary "Super-G" network which was 40Mhz or MIMO-based Wireless G that would deliver 108Mbps, and that itself would require a radio on both ends that can understand completely what is trying to be accomplished.

There was a nifty chart I found somewhere that easily explains what I'm trying to describe, but I cannot seem to locate it. Bummer 😞

0 Likes