MI424WR Rev I vs Quantum with 100/100 internet wired connection.
shanghei

I cant seem to fina an answer for this question. I was wondering if the quantum router had any advantage over the MI424WR Rev I with 100/100 WIRED internet. I know the quantum has better wireless but not sure about wired.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR Rev I vs Quantum with 100/100 internet wired connection.
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few better things notably support for 5Ghz.  I.e. its dual band. Band.  There are some wired features added as well, but I doubt if you would see any difference.

See

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/fios-quantum-gateway/troubleshooting#routerfe... which has a question and answer about this and other things.

Some complain howerer that its 2.4 band has less range.  I wouldn't know as I went with a non-Verizon 802.11AC router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not using wireless ( I assume that is what you mena by wired) you may get some better performance in high traffic situations as the Quantum rotuer is newer with more horsepower.

0 Likes
done12many2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on the fact that you are wired from your router to your PC, the answer to your question would depend on what internet speed you currently subscribe to.

If you are on 50/50, 75/75 or even 100/100, you'll be more than fine with your current router.  The WAN is limited to 10/100 or 100 Mbps.  Don't forget that there is a slight overhead to your 10/100 connections so you'd only actually see transfer rates in the 90+ Mbps range.  This is more than enough for 50/50 and 75/75 services, but with 100/100 you'll loose just a tad of the extra speed that Verzion tends to dish out.

I prefer wired connections myself.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@done12many2 wrote:

Based on the fact that you are wired from your router to your PC, the answer to your question would depend on what internet speed you currently subscribe to.

If you are on 50/50, 75/75 or even 100/100, you'll be more than fine with your current router.  The WAN is limited to 10/100 or 100 Mbps.  Don't forget that there is a slight overhead to your 10/100 connections so you'd only actually see transfer rates in the 90+ Mbps range.  This is more than enough for 50/50 and 75/75 services, but with 100/100 you'll loose just a tad of the extra speed that Verzion tends to dish out.

I prefer wired connections myself.

The wan is NOT limited to 100/100  assuming an Ethernet type connection.  These routers are used for 150/300 and I think 500 speed service.  Even the Coax using MOCA is capable of higher speeds but the ONT"s, at least all the ones I have heard of up until recently. are not

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

A few better things notably support for 5Ghz.  I.e. its dual band. Band.  There are some wired features added as well, but I doubt if you would see any difference.

See

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/fios-quantum-gateway/troubleshooting#routerfe... which has a question and answer about this and other things.

Some complain howerer that its 2.4 band has less range.  I wouldn't know as I went with a non-Verizon 802.11AC router.

The OP said "WIRED" in all caps and you come back with wifi? 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

See

The OP said "WIRED" in all caps and you come back with wifi? 

Read my reply again.  I talked a little about Wired as well and pointed to the Verizon feature comparison.  Essentially newer chips and some new features, but not particularly important.  Major difference is of course the wifi dual band.

0 Likes