MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Mguich87
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have reviewed many topics for moca setup but have not seemed to find a solution for what I’m looking for. I am a Verizon Fios customer for Internet services only. I live in a fairly small sized apartment. My ONT is set up in my living room and was connected to the Verizon 1GB Gateway Router they provided., via Cat6 Ethernet. I was not seeing anything close to 1GB on wireless, more like 50mbps. I tried troubleshooting with a tech and that got me nowhere. I decided to purchase a third party router (netgear router nighthawk R800) I released my DHCP for my 1 gb gateway router. I have only had it on a day and have already the wireless speeds have increased. 

On to my question- I’d really like to have wired connections but my TV and gaming systems are too far from the router and i don’t want long Ethernet wires everywhere. I looked into Moca adapter set ups. I should have researched a little more before purchasing, but I digress. The Moca adapters are the ActionTec Moca 2.0 coaxial to Ethernet (ECB6200K02) LAN. I followed instructions for connection but both green lights on the adapters are not lit. The coax lines are unlit. Is it possible for me to request for Verizon to enable Ethernet and coaxial at the same time so I can take advantage of the adapters and not have to return them? Maybe there is another solution, like Verizon enabling MoCa on the ONT. Any suggestions will help. I am fairly tech savvy but not an expert. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Solved-MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Mguich87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your help. I attached a picture of the hub. It finally worked. I did not realize the coaxial cables and adapter had to be connected via the splitter on the same coaxial line. 

I just have one last question. How would I bridge a coaxial that’s in my bedroom with one that is in my living room 15-20ft distance? Would I have to extend Coaxial cables with splitters room to room Or is there an easier set up/ fix?

View solution in original post

Re: MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is nothing for Verizon to enable since MoCA adapter are working on the LAN side of the router. What type of coax wiring do you have in your apartment? Do you have wall jacks or is it run on the baseboards? 

A MoCA adapter setup will be like this...

Router > ethernet LAN > 1st MoCA adapter > coax > 2nd MoCA > ethernet to a device or ethernet switch. 

Mguich87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. There is a Coaxial running from my wall under a window sill in my living room. I believe they are all coming from the wall. I see some splitters. I thought,  since I only have internet and no STB, and the ONT was connected via Ethernet, instead of coaxial to the router, that the ONT will not emit the signal from the ONT to the adapter that I connect via coaxial in line.

Not sure if this matters, but I see the white hub that they install in apartments. I’ve never used it, because It was here, before I moved in. I have only had Verizon internet for a year and never needed the hub.  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is correct about the ONT. Using MoCA adapters has nothing to do with the coax port on the ONT. Actully there doesn't even need to be coax connected at the ONT. The first adapter is taking an ethernet signal and switching it to coax then switching back to ethernet at the second adapter. The main thing is to make sure the coax in both rooms are connected at the cable splitter. Is it possible to take a picture inside the white hub? If I can see I can better help.

Solved-MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Mguich87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your help. I attached a picture of the hub. It finally worked. I did not realize the coaxial cables and adapter had to be connected via the splitter on the same coaxial line. 

I just have one last question. How would I bridge a coaxial that’s in my bedroom with one that is in my living room 15-20ft distance? Would I have to extend Coaxial cables with splitters room to room Or is there an easier set up/ fix?

Re: Solved-MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That picture is an old ONT and isn't doing anything. I thought you meant you had a panel with all the wiring. You would hope the coax that's in the Living room and the coax in the bedroom go back to the same splitter. If they don't the MoCA adapters won't work. If you can't use coax in the apartment you might as well just run ethernet. 

Re: Solved-MoCa bonded 2.0 Bonded set up for internet plan only connected via ethernet
Mguich87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you again for assistance. I’ll be using the adapters in my living for now.