Moving router/ONT to other side of room - longer Fiber Optic cable or Ethernet cable?
moloch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to move the my Verizon router to the other side of the room, and ideally I'd move the ONT with it so I can get that eyesore out of view.

To move the ONT, I'd have to get a longer fiber cable which would run along the baseboard and over doorways. If I just move the router, I'd use a longer Ethernet cable and leave the ONT where it is. Is it advisable to just buy a longer fiber cable to replace the shorter one that came with the install?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving router/ONT to other side of room - longer Fiber Optic cable or Ethernet cable?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It boils back to the ONT being part of Verizon's network/infrastructure. If the present location of the ONT and the power supply is problematic, I would call Verizon to have a technician move it. The caveat is that it would very likely be a billable event.

View solution in original post

Re: Moving router/ONT to other side of room - longer Fiber Optic cable or Ethernet cable?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would extend the Ethernet cabling and leave the ONT in the present location.  The ONT is part of Verizon's network and really should only be touched by Verizon technicians. Verizon could dispatch out a technician to move the ONT to the new location, but, that could be a billable event.

moloch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi - thanks for the reply.

The ONT is a black brick (well, two black bricks attached to each other with a ziptie) that's just sitting on the floor - is there a reason why simply replacing the fiber cable with a longer one is a bad idea?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It boils back to the ONT being part of Verizon's network/infrastructure. If the present location of the ONT and the power supply is problematic, I would call Verizon to have a technician move it. The caveat is that it would very likely be a billable event.

moloch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got it - thanks.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plus the ethernet cable is less likely to be damaged than the fiber.

And much easier to repair/replace.