Multiple WAN addresses to the same physical address
stvn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been trying to find the best option to provide an unhindered WAN address to a LinkSys router.  I tried purchasing an Actiontec router off ebay and making it a bridge, but after calling Verizon support, it seems the router can't be connected to Verizon's network for some reason or another.  The next step is to wire the house with cat6/powerline switches and have Verizon turn on ethernet at the ONT.  But that seems to present roadblocks too.  Ethernet still needs to flow through the Verizon router's WAN port.

Here's my question:  If I put a switch between the ONT and Verizon's router, and put my Verizon router and my LinkSys router both on the ONT at the same time, will I be able to get two WAN addresses from Verizon?

Thank you for any information you can provide,

Steven

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple WAN addresses to the same physical address
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Verizon router is only required when FiOS TV set-top-boxes are used.  Otherwise, you can use any router you want.  Know that Verizon provides zero support for customers using non-Verizon routers, that is most likely why their support didn't provide any information about not using their router.

This link is very helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Verizon router is only required when FiOS TV set-top-boxes are used.  Otherwise, you can use any router you want.  Know that Verizon provides zero support for customers using non-Verizon routers, that is most likely why their support didn't provide any information about not using their router.

This link is very helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

stvn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the quick response.

I do have TV.  Apologies for not pointing that out.  From the chart, it looks like I can still have my router as primary, with ethernet configured at the ONT.  Tech Support suggested the Verizon router would still need to be primary, regardless of their support status.

Please help me be clear; I can get ethernet switched on at the ONT; my router will get an IP, I can feed a 192.168 from my router to the Verizon router's WAN port; and the STP will get an address, VOD, and guide?

Thank you again for the help,

Steven

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect Verizon tech support will always say put their router first, as they do not provide any support or even guidance for using other routers as a primary.  Don't expect anything else from them.  That doesn't mean you can't use a non-VZ router as primary; just that VZ will never advise you to do it and won't provide support for any FiOS services if they know about it.

I've not tried a non-Verizon router as primary, so I don't have anything to add beyond what is the dslreports FAQ.  There are lots of discussions on the Verizon forum there about router configs, you should review them.

Good luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stvn wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.

I do have TV.  Apologies for not pointing that out.  From the chart, it looks like I can still have my router as primary, with ethernet configured at the ONT.  Tech Support suggested the Verizon router would still need to be primary, regardless of their support status.

Please help me be clear; I can get ethernet switched on at the ONT; my router will get an IP, I can feed a 192.168 from my router to the Verizon router's WAN port; and the STP will get an address, VOD, and guide?

Thank you again for the help,

Steven

Yes except for VOD.  You should forward the VZ specific ports (found as PF rules on the VZ router) to the VZ router.

With regard to VOD there was a post in this forum several days back from someone who had managed to get VOD working.

Here's the thread of the user who reported getting VOD working in a casaced router setup with the VZ router as secondary

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-Internet-TV-G1100-Juniper-NS25/td-p/794227

0 Likes