my SIP baed Internet phone is stop working
allan11

hi all,

It would be great if someone give me an insight of this problem. Two days ago, Signaling/Registration of phone were failed. I thought Verizon might apply some Access-list rules for SIP related traffic. i try to change port fowording/dmz and all other stuff. but so far no luck.

So, My question is that does Verizon really decide to block SIP traffic??? this is real pain.

Could you anyone know how to make this work, please share something for me.

Btw, how to check port connectivity for UDP 5060, 20000-60000?

thanks

0 Likes
Re: my SIP baed Internet phone is stop working
Satellite

I have same problem since around June 22...I'm using internet phone which using 5060, 20000-60000 port with actiontec M1424WR router. Since then, internet is fine but my phone is not working.

I tried port forwarding/DMZ but nothing helped.

I checked some routes...

Tracing route to lgdacom.net [210.124.165.161]
1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 7 ms 9 ms L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-41.verizon-gni.net [173.64.116.1]
3 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms G0-5-0-6.BLTMMD-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.109.186]
4 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms ae4-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.230]
5 88 ms 87 ms 87 ms 0.so-7-0-1.XL4.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.242]

#1 is ok which is my router, but the problem is #2 and #3...port 5060 closed...

>nmap -sU -p 5060 173.64.116.1
Nmap scan report for L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-41.verizon-gni.net (173.64.116.1)
Host is up (0.013s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
5060/udp closed sip

Any help?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Satellite wrote:

I have same problem since around June 22...I'm using internet phone which using 5060, 20000-60000 port with actiontec M1424WR router. Since then, internet is fine but my phone is not working.

I tried port forwarding/DMZ but nothing helped.

I checked some routes...

Tracing route to lgdacom.net [210.124.165.161]
1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 7 ms 9 ms L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-41.verizon-gni.net [173.64.116.1]
3 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms G0-5-0-6.BLTMMD-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.109.186]
4 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms ae4-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.230]
5 88 ms 87 ms 87 ms 0.so-7-0-1.XL4.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.242]

#1 is ok which is my router, but the problem is #2 and #3...port 5060 closed...

>nmap -sU -p 5060 173.64.116.1
Nmap scan report for L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-41.verizon-gni.net (173.64.116.1)
Host is up (0.013s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
5060/udp closed sip

Any help?

Has your phone traffic always needed to go to South Korea (looks like it's going to Seoul)? Even with latency that high, SIP should work fine assuming there isn't a latency enforcement. As an FYI, a port check tool won't work unless you're hosting a SIP server from your home. Your computer uses an ephemeral port (a random port from ~port 30,000 to 65535) to connect to the server on the other end, with the SIP port that is actually open.

Also, Verizon's core routers won't have ports open, since they are not actually running services themselves. Internally they'll have something but you shouldn't be able to reach any of that.

One consideration is to try disabling your IGMP proxy in the router. For as silly as it seems, this seems to have been fixing a ton of issues lately. Also, just double check to make sure your router's Firewall is not enabled or set too high. You can also try disabling SIP ALG if there is an "ALG" section in the FiOS router. For the IGMP Proxy, check this link out: http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

You will need to log into the above link using your router's username of admin, and the serial number as the password unelss you've changed it.

0 Likes
Satellite

Thank you for the reply...Yes, you are right...I need to go to Seoul, Korea for making phone to my parents...^^

I didn't know there is hidden menu on FIOS router, but I followed your direction for disabling IGMP Proxy and double check the SIP ALG disabling..(on top of that disable ADVANCED>ROUTING>IGMP)...not worked...

There are many people around here in DC area to have a problem to call to Korea using this service (I read many similar prolbem from other message board) and some of them already swich the ISP and no problem after...

It was using without any problem before ~6/22, also I still can make a call from other place...so problem must be verizon side...

Any other things that I can try?

0 Likes
allan11

Are you using LG070 service? What a pain !!.  btw, I am in NJ/NY Area.

it is working with 4G or other ISP like AOL and optimum. I guess it's time to switch internet provider. So Far no good.!!!

Pretty much sure Verizon did something for the traffice oversea. I spoke to Reps many time but they keep saying that nothing is blocked by Verizon..

Any update???

0 Likes
Satellite

No luck yet for me...Yes...I'm using LG U+ 070 internet phone...and I'm in DC area...

BTW, how can I use 4G? Can I download app to make 070 through 4G?

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Satellite wrote:

No luck yet for me...Yes...I'm using LG U+ 070 internet phone...and I'm in DC area...

BTW, how can I use 4G? Can I download app to make 070 through 4G?

Thanks in advance...

"4G" is a term for Fourth Generation network, otherwise known as LTE in it's more correct term. It's a Wireless service provided by mobile phone carriers and Wireless ISPs.

For the LG VoIP service, since you're reaching the service as-is from the looks of things you may want to consider trying to change your IP address. Verizon can help you do this, or if you leave your router offline for a few hours and then turn it back on, you can likely pull a fresh one. You can monitor your IP address here: http://whatismyip.com/ . Away from that, consider roping in LG Support if they have an online chat or e-mail support you can use (didn't check the site. It takes me some time to translate Korean).

If LG is at least informed of the Verizon issue and attempts to do some troubleshooting, they can likely throw more weight as to getting the problem fixed.

0 Likes
Satellite

Thanks for your reply...I tried to refresh my ip address using turn off the router few hours and got a new ip adrress but not helped...Yet got success to make a phone call after using VPN...I'll use like this for now and keep try to find out real solving the problem...and if nothing works I'll change the ISP...There are a lot of people having same problem to use internet phone to make a phone call to Korea around my area...

0 Likes
mdcustomerzzz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I truly hear your pain.  The interesting point is the Verizon will refuse to fix the issue just by saying that it  is not the Verizon's issue.  I use the same LG070 VoIP digital voice via Verizon.  My VoIP, all of sudden, stopped working (no service) about two weeks ago.  Since then, I've been calling/chatting to Verizon tech support daily to fix the issue.  I had to take my VoIP phone to McDonald's free wi-fi zone and one of my friend who uses the Comcast service to use it.  In other words, my VoIP phone works just fine on other networks (AT&T and Comcast) but it doesn't work on Verizon's network.  Obviously, it is Verizon's issue but Verizon still would not fix the issue just saying they don't know how to fix the issue.  I pay alot to Verizon every month to receive service.  Believe or not, some customer service representatives were extremely rude and unprofessional on how they presented themselves to customer. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since this thread was bumped, another thing to consider. The FiOS routers do tend to undergo automatic updates which have been known to break the way data is handled, too. If you have a fast enough spare router around (basically, a high end G router, or anything qualified for Wireless N), you could consider asking Verizon to move your ONT's WAN connection to the Ethernet / RJ-45 port found on the ONT. With this you can remove the ActionTec from the picture as your primary router, setting it up as a MoCa bridge if you use FiOS TV, and prove the problem is with the network.

Note, to make use of the RJ-45 port on the ONT, you will either need to run your own cabling to where your FiOS router currently is located, relocate your router nearby the ONT so an existing patch cable that you have handy can be used, or you will need to have Verizon or a low voltage electrician run some cabling for you for a charge. If you pay for the 150Mbps Quantum package or higher (300M, 500M), you already have an Ethernet connection and can swap the router out at will.

Final note. When you swap the router out, the DHCP lease must be broken from the ActionTec so your router can pull an IP address. You will need to do a DHCP Release in the ActionTec and then immediately switch off the ActionTec (so it doesn't have time to auto-renew an IP), or you will need to call Verizon so they can help you break the DHCP lease and swap the router.

So, if the OP is still having problems calling Korea, give the above a try. You can give the same thing a try too if you'd like, mdcustomerzzz.

0 Likes