My Wi-Fi password should be private
Mh110
I have recently discovered that when I log in to My services in MyVerizon, my wireless SSID, encryption scheme, and password (with Hide/unhide option) are displayed. Verizon should not have this password (which I certainly did not knowingly share). While some customers who are less willing to assume full responsibility for their own Internet security might see this as a convenience, I see it as an invasion of my privacy and the kind of threat to my security that I was trying to mitigate by setting my own password. I have turned off the radio on my Verizon router until there is a way for me to prevent my wireless password from being shared with Verizon.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My Wi-Fi password should be private
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mh1 wrote:
I have recently discovered that when I log in to My services in MyVerizon, my wireless SSID, encryption scheme, and password (with Hide/unhide option) are displayed. Verizon should not have this password (which I certainly did not knowingly share). While some customers who are less willing to assume full responsibility for their own Internet security might see this as a convenience, I see it as an invasion of my privacy and the kind of threat to my security that I was trying to mitigate by setting my own password. I have turned off the radio on my Verizon router until there is a way for me to prevent my wireless password from being shared with Verizon.

If you logon to to your router and go to port forwarding(firewall settings, port forwarding. you will find rules there for various FIOS service.  In particular you will notice that port 45667 is directed to local host - i.e. the router.  That is the Verizon back door to your router where they can access your settings and so get the wireless password for the account display.  If that port forwarding rule is interrupted then the password access will be terminated.  Of course other thing such as tech support getting to the VZ router will also be terminated, depends on whether that is important to you.

Unfortunately you cannot just delet that rule as the delete functionallity has been disabled for all the Verizon Fios service rules.

You can however put your own router in front of the VZ router, that typically will mean you need to get the ont reprivioned to provide an ethernet rather than coax broadband connection - a simple change involving just a 10 minute call with fios tech support.  Then you could forward all the VZ rules except 4567 to the VZ router - they are needed for the STBs, call waiting etc.

A lot of effort just to not have you wifi pasword displayed in the account settings that only you and Verizon can see but it will accomplish what you want if so desired.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of us agree.  But verizon thinks the average user is dumb and cannot remember their password.  They do get lots of calls asking how to connect new devices to the home wifi.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mh1 wrote:

If you logon to to your router and go to port forwarding(firewall settings, port forwarding. you will find rules there for various FIOS service.  In particular you will notice that port 45667 is directed to local host - i.e. the router.  That is the Verizon back door to your router where they can access your settings and so get the wireless password for the account display.  If that port forwarding rule is interrupted then the password access will be terminated.  Of course other thing such as tech support getting to the VZ router will also be terminated, depends on whether that is important to you.

Unfortunately you cannot just delet that rule as the delete functionallity has been disabled for all the Verizon Fios service rules.

You can however put your own router in front of the VZ router, that typically will mean you need to get the ont reprivioned to provide an ethernet rather than coax broadband connection - a simple change involving just a 10 minute call with fios tech support.  Then you could forward all the VZ rules except 4567 to the VZ router - they are needed for the STBs, call waiting etc.

A lot of effort just to not have you wifi pasword displayed in the account settings that only you and Verizon can see but it will accomplish what you want if so desired.

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Just add your own wi-fi router after the Verizon router and turn off the wi-fi on the Verizon router.  

Just connect the new router via LAN ports and it should not require any other setup or setting changes, with the possible exception of changes you may want to make on the new wi-fi router to increase security (since that is your concern here - you can change router name, wi-fi network name, user name, password, etc.)

Most 3rd party wi-fi routers are better than the wi-fi portion of the Verizon routers anyway (faster, dual band, better antennae, etc.).

0 Likes
mpop1

This is one of the reason I have a router/firewall between the fios "router" and my network.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

From an ISP perspective having your wifi credentials saves them a ton of money in support.  A lot of people do call in for that.  If Verizon didn't have access to it, they then get into lengthy support calls (directing cu to get by going through router admin or worst yet a factory reset and then having to reconfigure and reconnect devices).

I do use my own router, but in the grand scheme of things I don't have an issue with Verizon having my wifi password.  Unless they are within 60 ft of my router it won't do them any good.  In terms of it getting stolen off a Verizon server by a hacker, all I can say is again that hacker would then have to get close enough to my router to use it, so they would have to also steal my home address.  If hacker gets my home address and other personal data off of a Verizon server, I am going to be worried about a lot more than my wifii password.

prisaz
Legend

Or put your router after theirs, and that way they don't complain. Turn of the wireless on their router if you wish, and get a really nice super high speed router. Leave theirs for all the TV hardware, then connect your PC stuff to the best router you would like. Have only Verizon hardware on their first router, and one ethernet to your nice shiny new router.

I purchased a nice Linksys EA 6900 dual band router, at the time it was rated good, and could reach the highest wireless speeds. People have different opinions, needs, and prefrences. I would not leave MY PC and other hardware with the Actiontech as the only protection, but that is because I am a security nut.

That was my solution when I ran into touble the other day and decided to put theirs back up front. You can even leave their wireless enabled for a visitor's network, and all of your stuff will be privately blocked safely behind the second router. Verizon will see their devices and one router they can't get past. This way they can still support only their equipment. I consider everything outside my routers WAN the Verizon DMZ!Smiley Happy

Prior to my connection issue my main primary router was a Linux PC with tight security logging and proxy settings.

Oh if you do have two wireless routers, be sure they are seperated nicely. As they would switch cannels, being to close would still be an issue. I am in a town home, and I would bet everyone in the neighborhood on Fios has an Actiontec. Which are many.

evielou37
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you don't mind me asking how expensive are they (your  Linksys EA 6900

I have verizon wifi

I have been trying for days to get help with setting up my tablet no answer as of yet grrr__

I did a reset,put in my SS I D /location did everything possible still no connection from tablet to router

any suggestions >? many thanks reguardless :

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If your tablet is not working with Wifi, trouble might be there. Get Verizon to replace your router if it does not work on WiFi.

Not cheap if you want top of the line.  $200.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/419826/EA6900_-_AC1900_Dual_Band_Smart_Wi-Fi_Wireless_Router_8021...

Or

http://www.linksys.com/en-us/ac

Now this looks interesting too. a WRT Model. For a bit more money.

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router_stcVVproduct...

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Not sure if you want to spend that kind of money, but if you do, get an Asus or Netgear.  They consistently rank at the top for high end routers and are the same price as the Linksys' listed above.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

0 Likes