Need help with file/printer sharing between XP and 98SE
technoid

Hi, new here...

I have Actiontec MI424WR router for Verizon FIOS Internet.  I have 2 computers, one is Windows XP/Home and the other is 98SE.  Each one has one network card and both hooked up to router.  They can both see the Internet fine, but they cannot see each other for file/printer sharing home network. Both PC's have software firewalls for additional security.  

I don't know how to set this up without disabling Internet access.  What I mean is I have been able to make them see each other using static IP's, but when I do that it disables Internet because of the static addresses. I browsed the forum for "98se" but didn't find anything useful.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.  

~technoid

0 Likes
Re: Need help with file/printer sharing between XP and 98SE
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@technoid wrote:

Hi, new here...

I have Actiontec MI424WR router for Verizon FIOS Internet.  I have 2 computers, one is Windows XP/Home and the other is 98SE.  Each one has one network card and both hooked up to router.  They can both see the Internet fine, but they cannot see each other for file/printer sharing home network. Both PC's have software firewalls for additional security.  

I don't know how to set this up without disabling Internet access.  What I mean is I have been able to make them see each other using static IP's, but when I do that it disables Internet because of the static addresses. I browsed the forum for "98se" but didn't find anything useful.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.  

~technoid

Very odd that, would disable Internet Access.

I know that you are not trying to allow users from the net to you, but which router guide is the closest to your router?

#1 http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/MI-424-WRindex.htm

#2 http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WRv2/MI-424-WRv2index.htm

?
0 Likes
technoid

If you mean 'guide' as 'user manual', then it says ver. 2.0 on the user manual cd.  

Also, I have not tried updating any firmware if necessary.  I've only had VFIOS since late 2006, but just never was able to figure out how to share the PC's together.  I have set up network hubs before, but not an internet router network, so I probably am not doing something correctly. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you want to use a static IP for each computer you will need to supply the default gateway and dns server addresses which is the address of your router. If you do this, both computers should see the internet fine. This is providing that you use static addresses on the same network. Like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x depending on what your router uses. If your IP is dynamic, you can type ipconfig /all at a command prompt to find out this information. If you do not enter the default gateway for the router, and dns for resolving the domain names, then a static IP will not access the internet.

Also if you have a software firewall, you will need to open file and printer sharing for the IP addresses you assigned to the computers. Or the whole network range. If you enable the whole network range then remember your router is part of that network.

0 Likes
technoid

Things are still not working, but I think I'm at the point where I changed a few settings inside the router's menu over these couple years that I have forgotten what all I have changed.  My 2 PC's are configured each to obtain an IP address automatically.  But I believe the router config menu shows my two PC's at static addresses 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3.  I probably did that.  How do I change them back to DHCP inside the router config? 

Looking at ipconfig/all, the default gateway, dhcp and dns servers are all at 192.168.1.1.  Is that right?  Maybe I did that too.

Also, does it matter if my 98SE uses the same logon and password as my XP?  I don't think it's necessary, but not sure.

I'm a little messed up and confused to the point of going back to stock.  Could I start all over and hit the router's reset button (on the back of device) to put everything back to default?   Or does that not change what is in the Verizon router configuration menu?   Is there a reset in there too, or will that mess up some Verizon configuration that the installation guy put in?

0 Likes
Arun3

You can share files between XP and 98 even if it's in DHCP, provided both PC's are in the same workgroup. Also in XP create user account and allow that in the file sharing.

I don't think there is any special config on the router is required. If you think you messed it up, just reset it however you'll have to reconfigure the wireless.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Your IP addresses are good and on the same network. With DNS and default gateway pointing to the router. All should work. I would try a router reset. But first log into the router with your web browser at 192.168.1.1 and make sure your router is connecting to the internet.
0 Likes