Need to do Ethernet over Coax
erb

I need to connect a computer to my LAN where there is no ethernet cable, but there is a coax cable. I've heard of a Motorola adapter that will convert coax>ethernet but that would require me purchasing something. I'm wondering if Verizon will provide me with something similar so that I can connect another computer to my network using just a coax cable and not having to run an ethernet cable up there.

Note: I have Fios TV also so my router is already enabled for Ethernet over Coax and my Actiontec router shows that both of my cable boxes are online and of course the guide works on both. Essentially, my coax cables are all set for this I just need the adapter.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need to do Ethernet over Coax
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I'm wondering if Verizon will provide me with something similar so that I can connect another computer to my network using just a coax cable and not having to run an ethernet cable up there.

Note: I have Fios TV also so my router is already enabled for Ethernet over Coax and my Actiontec router shows that both of my cable boxes are online and of course the guide works on both. Essentially, my coax cables are all set for this I just need the adapter.

Unfortunately that would be a NO.  We dont' carry anything like that anymore.  However that doesn't mean your out of luck.  Try searching for a motorola NIM 100.  I've seen them on ebay for roughly $42.00

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I'm wondering if Verizon will provide me with something similar so that I can connect another computer to my network using just a coax cable and not having to run an ethernet cable up there.

Unfortunately that would be a NO.  We dont' carry anything like that anymore.  However that doesn't mean your out of luck.  Try searching for a motorola NIM 100.  I've seen them on ebay for roughly $42.00

0 Likes
erb

Thank you for the prompt response, though I was afraid you would say that. I guess I'll just have to run the ethernet cable. The PC is on the 1st floor and the router is in the basement so a 50ft cable and a power drill will suit me just fine. Better than spending $42 + shipping I suppose. Thanks again for the reply.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Check Walmart, they have pretty inexpensive cables.
0 Likes