New battery backup needed
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

A couple of days ago I was having a problem with intermittent disconnect from the internet so Fios sent aout a tech who changed the outside box on the side of the house and also the box in the basement the baige one with the separate ac adapter

This box in the basement is black and it's much smaller than the previous one

He said that Fios will suply the first battery backup which is supposed to plug into this black box

Today I was having a problem with the phone that did not have a dialtone and while I was on the phone I asked them about this battery backup and he said that the batteries are inside already

I don't know maybe we are talking about 2 different things but I am pretty sure there are no batteries in this small box because I unpluged the ac cord and the phone was not working

So the question I have is does anyone know what battery backup is supposed to go with this new system ?

Is it also 12 volts or some other voltage ?

They were both saying D cell batteries except one guy was saying external and the other guy was saying it's internal ?

Since I already determined that it's not internal how do I tell Verizon to send me this new battery pack that they think it;s internal ?

0 Likes
Re: New battery backup needed
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Today, Verizon supplies BBU as an extra fee.

Not sure their policy when power supply is replaced.

Look at this link.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/options

I assume you have the upper supply.

What you are looking for is a power reserve device which is shown to be available for a fee

jonjones1
Legend

The little black boxes are called power reserves. You can switch them on or off at will.

they take d cell batteries. Which you supply.

the other is called a battery backup unit (BBU) these can be replaced or disabled all together.  Instructions here.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the replies

I guess I need the Power reserve

I understand that I have to change the batteries but shouldn't verizon supply the first box with batteries included ?

Do I have to pay for the Power reserve in order to get one ?

Otherwise how else would I be able to hook up the d cell batteries to the device ?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@newmes wrote:

Thanks for the replies

I guess I need the Power reserve

I understand that I have to change the batteries but shouldn't verizon supply the first box with batteries included ?

Do I have to pay for the Power reserve in order to get one ?

Otherwise how else would I be able to hook up the d cell batteries to the device ?

I am a little confused. You either have the BBU which takes those 12v batteries which can be purchased from Home Depot and Lowe’s and many other locations. Verizon does not give free so it’s at your own expense.

Now the battery back up units are a little black box that when the cover is off has D cell batteries in it. This is the easier backup since you can turn this unit on and off as you please.

However you have either or, not both. So if you need to get a battery look at the link I gave you. Or just disable it so it will not be sounding off, or if you don’t care about phone service still on. A general APC from Best Buy can also be used to keep power to the ONT. 

0 Likes
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to clarify

I had the BBU originally with the 12v battery

That was the one that was replaced but it was not replaced with the same thing

It was replaced with a smaller black box thats about half the size so there is no way that there is any batteries in that box Plus I already proved it by disconnecting it and the phone not working so there is no battery inside this small box that was installed

You said "Now the battery back up units are a little black box that when the cover is off has D cell batteries in it"

I am not sure what you mean by little box and how many batteries are inside ?

Can you gve me some dimensions to get an idea of the size ?

If this takes d cell batteries it should be at least as big as the one that was removed unless it's running on just one d cell battery

Are you saying that the unit I have has just one d cell battery so kust 1.5v ?

0 Likes
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I called up verizon and they will send me a Power reserve for free

It's agood thing I called them because otherwise the would have done nothing

They just placed the order when I called I guess they don't automatically send one out just because the tech changed the box

They also wanted to charge me but after I protested and checking with their manager  they will send it for free

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Congrats.

I believe the reason is that more and more people are not intersted in BBU.
Either they don't have phone service at all or they are ok that if power goes out, they use their cell phones. Also, how many people still have an analog phone that doesn't require power (ie corded vs cordless)

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/power-reserve

There is a photo here at the above link.

However my power reserve looks like a small brick 

i can take a photo if needed. But I have it blocked by my table.

0 Likes
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks

I guess the size is all relative

To me that small brick is about twice the size the unit that it powers and yes I am one of those that still has an analog phone that requires power to work

While most folks have cell phones that they use as a backup I like to have backup options and verizon should not assume that I don't need a battery and therfore don't send one unless someone asks for it

I like to have the phone system work as it was designed with all the features that I paid for and not some stripped down version

0 Likes