New primary router, coax only
CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an existing Actiontec, a new nighthawk x4s, and coax only coming in from the ONT. Please help direct me to the right setup instructions togto make the nighthawk primary. Inot have a computer to plug the ethernet into to further configure settings once wifi is off.

I have TV now (3 stb via coax) that I'm ready to ditch if I can get close to the speeds I'm paying for (75/75}.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New primary router, coax only
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Actiontec should be capable of 75 mbps. You don’t need to use the adapter. Just connect your Nighthawk to the Actiontec and setup the Nighthawk in AP(Access Point) Mode. Also disable the Actiontec’s wifi. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want your Nighthawk to be primary then you need to run ethernet from the ONT to the router. Then call Verizon to switch you from MoCA to ethernet. 

CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can't do that at the moment... They aren't sending techs out in my area and I have an older external ONT. I do have a coax / ethernet adapter though.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The older ONT also has ethernet. You would be able to use a pair of coax/ethernet adapters in this configuration...

ONT > ethernet > 1st adapter > coax > 2nd adapter > ethernet > Nighthawk 

The problem is you still need to get ethernet to the first adapter. 
I saw on dslreports.com that techs will be entering the house on June 1st. You will either have to run the ethernet yourself or just wait until you can make an appointment. 

CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way do something with one adapter?  If I have internet pass through the Actiontec am I limiting my throughput in any way?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Actiontec should be capable of 75 mbps. You don’t need to use the adapter. Just connect your Nighthawk to the Actiontec and setup the Nighthawk in AP(Access Point) Mode. Also disable the Actiontec’s wifi. 

CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm getting single digits up and downloads when standing right next to the Actiontec.   I'll try this suggestion now....

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To make sure the Actiontec is good check the speeds hardwired. If they are good then setup the Nighthawk in AP mode and you should be getting 75/75. 
By the way, what Actiontec Rev are you working with?

CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got five laptops in this house and not one of them has an ethernet port!  Typically, I get single digits during the day when the most devices are on and active, then maybe high teens at night when the rest of the household has gone to bed.  I've got the red band rev I.

SUCCESS!  I now have connectivity through the Nighthawk and just checked wireless speeds and we're at max speed!  

I'll give verizon a call and see when we might be able to get someone out here.   I had just called a few days ago and the CSR said it would be $150 for them to come out when they started up again.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great! I think if you upgrade online the $150 setup fee is typically waived.