New to FiOS, can I use my own modem and router
marshallpf
Enthusiast - Level 1

I saw several questions similar to mine, but none that I saw answered my question for my scenario. I am sorry if this is a duplicate.

I am new to FiOS. I have no other services from Verizon and do not plan to get any. No phone, no television, nothing. Just Internet. God willing, the installation will take place in two days. My house already has coaxial cabling. I have my own cable modem, a SURFboard SB6121, which goes to my router, a TP Link TL-WR941ND. None of my equipment advertises that it is FiOS compatible.

I've seen other people asking about using their own modem and router, but in those cases the scenario involved other bundled services, and I understand a FiOS router is necessary to forward ports to television, phone, and computers. However, in my very simple scenario, can the Verizon optical network terminal simply feed its output to my coax, from there to my modem, then router, then comptuers? Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

Verizon technical support just gave me a machine that wanted to help me troubleshoot my Internet connection, and I couldn't get from there to a human. Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New to FiOS, can I use my own modem and router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@marshallpf wrote:

Just to confirm, my modem does have a MOCA filter, but it has no bridge mode or anything like that. I should definitely not try to use it because it probably wouldn't work and it might cause problems on the node. Is that accurate?

If that's the case, then I either need to buy a MOCA bridge or a MOCA router...

BANISH the word modem and any device called modem from your home when using FiOS.  FiOS does not use modems.  Your cable modem cannot be used with FiOS.  Do not plug it in.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.  Do not use your cable modem with FiOS.  It will not work.  Don't use it.

Hopefully that is crystal clear now.

The only routers you can buy with a MoCA WAN port are the Verizon devices.  Don't bother looking for others, they don't exist.

You may be able to find a MoCA WAN bridge, but they are quite expensive.  LIke $500 expensive.  You'd be better of using a Verizon router configured as a bridge.  You can find used models online.

Read the FAQ linked above.  It is very helpful.

FiOS does not have nodes.  It is a PON (passive optical network).  Look up PON if you want to learn how it works.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Banish the word and the device called "modem" from your home when using FiOS.  FiOS does not use modems.  Your cable modem is useless with FiOS.  Do not plug it in.

FiOS uses routers.  The router connects to the ONT's WAN port using MoCA (coax) or Ethernet.  The installer will enable one of the ONT's WAN ports.  If you order 150Mbps or higher speeds, they will have to use Ethernet.  For slower speeds, coax is the default.  Many installers will use Ethernet if you ask nicely, but usually only if it isn't too much work.  Make sure it's easy to connect a router to the ONT using Ethernet, and you should be okay.  If Ethernet needs to be run through the walls, your best choice is get it done ahead of time.  You can always call later and get the ONT's WAN port switched.

The only routers available with a MoCA WAN port are the Verizon models.  The Verizon routers are good devices for most users.  People who like to tweak their networking gear don't like them as many advanced features are limited or locked down.  You can't run any other router firmware on them.  WiFi range is decent, but not great.  I'm quite happy with my Quantum router.  YMMV.

If you get Ethernet WAN enabled, you can use any router you want.  However, know that Verizon provides zero support for any other router.  They won't even mention it as an option.  That doesn't mean you can't use one, simply that you must do so without Verizon's help.

There are reports that they won't even complete an install without one of their routers to verify service.  If you don't use one of their routers, consider renting one for a month to complete the install or even buying a used one.  If you own a Verizon router, you can install it if you ever suspect Verizon networking issues.  This will allow you to call their support.

This FAQ is very helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Good Luck.

marshallpf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply! I'm currently only going to get the 25/25, and later I might increase that. I'm not sure how easy it would be for them to run ethernet in my house, so based on this, I'll probably be on coax.

Just to confirm, my modem does have a MOCA filter, but it has no bridge mode or anything like that. I should definitely not try to use it because it probably wouldn't work and it might cause problems on the node. Is that accurate?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@marshallpf wrote:

BANISH the word modem and any device called modem from your home when using FiOS.  FiOS does not use modems.  Your cable modem cannot be used with FiOS.  Do not plug it in.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.  Do not use your cable modem with FiOS.  It will not work.  Don't use it.

Hopefully that is crystal clear now.

The only routers you can buy with a MoCA WAN port are the Verizon devices.  Don't bother looking for others, they don't exist.

You may be able to find a MoCA WAN bridge, but they are quite expensive.  LIke $500 expensive.  You'd be better of using a Verizon router configured as a bridge.  You can find used models online.

Read the FAQ linked above.  It is very helpful.

FiOS does not have nodes.  It is a PON (passive optical network).  Look up PON if you want to learn how it works.

Enjoy.

Andy691
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can use your own router not modem, get a wireless router that can be used as in bridge mode, connect the lan of that router to the wan port of the fios router.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the board that best matches the subject of your message. Thanks!

0 Likes