Re: Paying for 50Mbps, never ever get past 20's. Does anyone actually get even 35 or 40Mbps?
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

If you have any kind of parental control configured on the router or laptop it will reduce network speed due to packet examination.

0 Likes
Re: Paying for 50Mbps, never ever get past 20's. Does anyone actually get even 35 or 40Mbps?
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm running into the same issue.  75/35 but uploads are never where they should be.  Downstream is perfect though.

It was fine in the past but has been acting up as of late; possibly the last several months.

I've been working with Verizon support for ~4 weeks now to get the issue resolved but it feels like I'm running in circles.

They're definitely working with me on it; I'm confident it's more an issue with something on their end and not mine due to all the things we've done and tested up to this point. (Already got a wall of text so won't detail all the steps we've gone through unless someone wants me to)

Upload speeds always slow down during late morning to evening time; dead of night and early morning are always fine (not 35Mbps but ~30Mbps which is acceptable) leading me to believe it's a BPON oversaturation issue that shows up during peak/prime time hours.

Now I just have to convince them to take a look at it.

They keep getting me to do the same basic troubleshooting steps so I feel like it's a different technician/NT every day instead of it being one person/team taking ownership seeing things through to resolution which is a bit frustrating.

Here's to hoping it gets solved soon.  I work on an IT help desk myself so I'm doing my best to be patient.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

@iDShaDoW703 wrote:

I'm running into the same issue.  75/35 but uploads are never where they should be.  Downstream is perfect though.

It was fine in the past but has been acting up as of late; possibly the last several months.

I've been working with Verizon support for ~4 weeks now to get the issue resolved but it feels like I'm running in circles.

Exactly my experience, except I have 50/25.  Uploads will test fine most of time using Verizon's official test, but only to the closest server. Using any other server and the upload speed drops to less than 1/5th the speed.  When actually uploading something, speeds are less than 100 kbps.

Everything at my location has been changed, so the issue is not here.   Verizon stopped helping and no one will take the issue further.  Just going in circles and is a waste of time dealing with them on it.

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

So after more troubleshooting, they send out another technician.

He swings by and says that my area (Annandale, VA) has been having issues with the PON cards where they increment a bit error counter over time. As this counter gets high enough it starts causing issues with peoples' connections.

Apparently it happened last summer and they just reset the PON card which fixes the issue but is not a permanent solution as the PON card will just start incrementing more errors over time.

Each time the counter gets high enough and starts affecting enough households, the complaint/ticket call volume goes up and they reset the card. Errors go away and they considered it resolved as calls stop coming in.

And the cycle repeats itself ad nauseum.

=====

The tech was out here at like 7PM testing things out and mentioned all this to me.

Says he saw the slow speeds and issues I've been complaining about during his tests and eventually gets it to test fine and, of course, the CO says things are testing fine on their end as well and don't see anything wrong... Of course if you test it enough times you might get through one time at the correct throughput; that doesn't show consistentcy of performance at that speed...

So anyhow, since it's just me and not a high volume of people complaining they don't want to reset the PON card as it'll take the rest of the people offline for however long it takes to come back on.

He also mentioned that he hasn't been called out for any issues like this for people on GPON; only BPON. This again points towards it likely being an oversaturated BPON OLT or bad PON card.

The forum team asked me to contact them again when the speeds are lackluster so the NTs can take a look at the circuit while it occurs and likely it will be a different NT than the ones prior leading me back towards testing/troubleshooting the same things that have been proven not to be the problem.

Edit:  This thread here has lots of similar information and is the likely culprit.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28632918-Southeast-Very-slow-Fios-upload-speed-at-night-and-during-...

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Yep, again same scenario here.  Very frustrating, especially when I had a supervisor promise me that he would get it fixed and would keep calling me back to make sure it was fixed, but never called back and there's no way to reach him.  Technicians acknowledge there is a problem but say that there isn't anything they can do about it and leave without even testing anything.

Yes, more people need to complain, but realistically, not too many people care about upload speeds, and they certainly don't notice that theirs might be below 1 meg when it should be close to 25 meg, so no one else is complaining, and nothing gets done.  

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update:

Long story short, they made no real progress on fixing the issue after a little over a month.

I bit the bullet and called in to be upgraded to 150/65 which would switch me from BPON to GPON.

Technician came out on 2/11 and performed the upgrade and speed has been perfect since with no hiccups or slow downs even during peak hours.

Downside is that when she was out here she said that there was something wrong with a poor light signal or some such to the box out in the neighborhood that everyone is attached to.

=======

Longer story covering new-found TV troubles.

So now I've been without TV service for coming on 5-6 days.  Phone and Internet continue to work fine.

I was told on Tuesday that the TV should be working again the next day.  I wasn't home to talk to the technician so I called same day to ask for more information and was told that they're fixing something at the CO (possibly what was causing my issue with the Internet speeds before I switched to GPON) and that it should be fixed in the morning or 48 hours at most.

When the service wasn't restored as told, I call in asking for an update and they'd say next morning.  Rinse and repeat daily up until today when they sent out another technician (~1PM EST) who checked everything in my house and he said it was fine.  Apparently he wasn't informed that the CO was fixing anything and he also saw that the splitter I was moved to was receiving no TV signal/feed to any of the 16 ports (I'm the only one on it in my neighborhood).

He escalated the ticket to a supervisor and they said it'd be up by 5PM and they'd call me with an update.  They called and said they weren't able to fix it and that the 2nd shift technician would be working on it and that it should be up by tomorrow morning (like hearing a broken record at this point).

I'm pleased that they followed up as promised but it gets hard to be patient when they take forever to fix an issue that I "fixed" myself by upgrading my service and forcing them to put me on an un-oversaturated splitter (ie. GPON).  And now I'm stuck in limbo while they take a week to fix something else that apparently should be fixable in 1 day.

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update again:

Finally TV is back up and running as of this morning.  Not sure if it's the technician escalating it to his supervisor or what but they finally got it done.

Fingers crossed that nothing starts to act up again and it's been quite an experience and lesson in patience.

0 Likes
k1ngkev1n1

So i can just buy a usb wifi stick plug it in? also do i need to reconnect my wireless devices or it just simply uses the usb wifi instead of the routers own antenaes?

0 Likes
bluebell1

Try using a "direct" ethernet plug from your router to you computer.  Your speed will increase.

0 Likes
donaldtrump

Forget the Verizon speed test, the only credible way to test nowadays is by using an HTML5 test like that found at speedof.me.  If you prefer to find another speed test do a Google search for "HTML5 speed test". 

Anytime I use Verizon's speed test ("Powered " by Ookla), the results are fictitious.  I just ran it now and it's showing me 58.49mbps/39.29mbps.  Not 20 seconds later, I checked via speedof.me and it's showing me 1.97mbps/5.43mbps. 

the only way they'll prove to me that they're not throttling my bandwidth is to use HTML5 tests on their own site, not those "Powered " by Ookla, who has cornered the market on flash-based tests, so no matter where you go, odds are you're going to get the same flash-based results from Ookla.

Lastly, I am ALWAYS testing via a wired connection.  I have a desktop, and it's NEVER a wireless connection.  So before the Customer Service goons can suggest installing & using the In-Home Agent, or "try using a wired connection", or try rebooting your PC or disconnecting & reconnecting your modem, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

0 Likes