Problem with urls not being resolved
Hittori1
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the last month I started to notice I could access some website such as: account.google.con, www.google.com, Facebook, outlook.live.com, etc...

At the beginning I had to restart the ont.

Then a technician came and change the ont, the power cable to the ont, the Ethernet cable, the router, and I still had those issues.

At least after his visit a router reset would fix the issue, but I still have to reset it a few times a day.

I have being calling an average of once a day for the last three to four weeks with no improvement. Sometimes they blame on my network, as I have r switches working in series, other times the router was blamed and it was changed again.

I do believe it is a game I play that makes the DNS server or the router goes bananas and not resolve the urls.

And I know it is not resolving the urls, because I can not ping or tracert those urls, but I can ping and tracert the IPs behind those URL.

The only explanation I have is that there was some kind of update in the game that trigger more frequently the authentication process and that makes the system goes bananas. 

Again, this is a theory and I cannot prove it.

The error happen on any single laptop/desktop I have , they are both wired or wireless connected with different OS. Cellphones over WiFi suffer this problem as well.

Finally, to be mentioned as well, with my work computer I connect via a VPN to my works server and that gives me access to the internet. I can resolve the URLs while all the over WiFi laptops/tablets/phones canNOT.

Does Verizon has a DDNS protection system for residential that might be interfere in here?

Kind regards

Guillermo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with urls not being resolved
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's two possibilities. It could be the FiOS Home Network Protection, or it could be Verizon's DNS.

For Home Network Protection, see this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/essentials/home-network-protection . It details how you can disable the Home Network Protection under the FAQ, which has been known in the past to cause issues for the sites you mention. 

For DNS, before we make any changes, let's test on one device to see if setting DNS manually will help. On one of your computers, try configuring CloudFlare DNS. Instructions are on this page: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ . Remove these DNS settings after a few days of testing, and let us know if they helped or made no difference. Generally, Verizon's DNS Servers are reliable, and outages would affect a large number of people.

If none of this helps, we may need to look at your overall network stability.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's two possibilities. It could be the FiOS Home Network Protection, or it could be Verizon's DNS.

For Home Network Protection, see this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/essentials/home-network-protection . It details how you can disable the Home Network Protection under the FAQ, which has been known in the past to cause issues for the sites you mention. 

For DNS, before we make any changes, let's test on one device to see if setting DNS manually will help. On one of your computers, try configuring CloudFlare DNS. Instructions are on this page: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ . Remove these DNS settings after a few days of testing, and let us know if they helped or made no difference. Generally, Verizon's DNS Servers are reliable, and outages would affect a large number of people.

If none of this helps, we may need to look at your overall network stability.

Hittori1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried with a change of the DNS and set up 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and that didn't improve 😞

I will check your first option and I will let you know

0 Likes
Hittori1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, that made the trick!

no more issues since I turn off the Home Network Protector.

@Smith6612, if you are a Verizon employee, please tell your manager that I thank you for your answer. But more importantly, tell your manager's manager that all the people that answer the phone and give support over the phone should learn from you. 

I had called almost every other day to Verizon for the last 3 weeks. Even thinking about breaking the Contract and moving to Comcast Gigabit. There was a technician who came to my house to replace all (ONT, power adaptor, power cable, router), another person sent me a replacement router, that I haven't been able to return yet because there was no returning label from UPS. So many people telling me that whatever the change they made will fix my issue.

And it has to be you, @Smith6612 who give me the right solution. Thank you very much INDEED.

Please, let me know your manager and your manager's manager comments. I can believe forums work better than the 15-20 people I have talked with during the last month.

Kind regards

Hittori

PS you can contact me via email or phone to personally recommend you 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hittori wrote:

Well, that made the trick!

no more issues since I turn off the Home Network Protector.

@Smith6612, if you are a Verizon employee, please tell your manager that I thank you for your answer. But more importantly, tell your manager's manager that all the people that answer the phone and give support over the phone should learn from you..

This forum is more peer to peer, so that user most likely does not work for Verizon. They will confirm this to be true, if they do not work for Verizon as I suspect that they don't.