Problems connecting with an IP address
sigh

Hello.

I play MMO RPGs and use VOIP software (Mumble specifically) to communicate with other players.

Last night, I was unable to connect to a particular Mumble server located in their Chicago data center. I tried connecting to other servers and had no problems, it was just that data center.

I did a tracert to see what the problem was, and it kept timing out at a certain IP address along the route. I don't know if that IP address was just offline or something, but it was definitely preventing me from connecting. 

Is there a way for me to reroute the path for connection? I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about how these things work, but if it is at all possible, could someone please tell me how?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Problems connecting with an IP address
JoeMan1
Enthusiast - Level 2
The question is if that IP address is owned by Verizon or another service provider. When you are doing a traceRT you are tracing the path, which will often go through multiple service providers. If you call tech support you can give them the TraceRT results and they can check if that is within Verizons network or not
0 Likes
Re: Problems connecting with an IP address
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I find this works for me, Trick is to leave it off at LEAST 5 minutes, but preferably ten or more. but you can do it in as little as 5-10 min.

Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Others report that you can do it in as little as two minutes if you throw in a step called MAC Cloning.

0 Likes