BTW, I am assuming that we are all talking about the same firmware here:

UI Version: v1.0.234
  Firmware Version 01.04.00.12
  Model Name: FiOS-G1100
  Hardware Version: 1.03

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
rck31

I work from home and deal with alot of data.  I also rely on my connection for phone access/IM with staff.  Often I do not realize I was kicked off from this 5g bug for an hour or two if I do not constantly check.  It is a huge pain to need to goto my router to reset usually 3-4 times a day.  This is just unacceptable.  I've had fios for years with this same router and never ran into this until 2 weeks ago like everyone else.  Seems like you should be able to roll back. Why am I pay extra for this crap and I even upgraded to 1gb service.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I do not have any issues since I switched from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode. I recommend trying that until Verizon comes back with a fix.

NoHighSpeed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Switching to WPA2/WPA for the 5 GHz band seems be a good work-around for now.  I've been up now using your suggestion for over 24 hours without a glitch.  Hoping it holds, Thanks!

reesedp1

Verizon told me yesterday that it was a recent firmware update that's causing the issue. They don't know when it will be fixed....

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

So good news, bad news:

Good news: My 5 GHz is now 5 days up.  So going to WPA/WPA2 mixed mode may have done the trick. 

Bad news: Overnight my 2.4 GHz kicked off everything.  I know because my wemo plugs and Google Home were either undetected or asking for wifi connection. That's a new one, I think for all of us.  I just rolled 2.4GHz back to mixed mode.  Sigh... 

TL;DR:  2.4 GHz connections may not be safe from disconnects either.

0 Likes
bikerpilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issues and tried all the suggested changes with no improvement. However, I then realized that the problem started to occur after I added 2 Google Home Mini's to the network (I have had 3 Google Home's already).

After I disconnected the Google Home Mini's, the 5G remained stable. As soon as I plugged them back in, the problem reappeared. Can anyone confirm this as well? I have not finalized that testing, but it would be great if someone could run a similar test.

Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow that is interesting!  I think the timing matches for me too. Had Google Home no problem. Around the time of the boots, added two home minis (just one right now). 

Even more interesting:  That would explain why my 2.4 GHz went down last night as I had moved all of them to the 2.4GHz band!

0 Likes
chubrock07
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't own a Google Home but I do own a Chromecast. Have you guys tried looking at the packets being sent? 

In my effort to track down the issue I did notice a wireshark report that had the Chromecast sending obscene amounts of packets over the network. Though I doubt that is the reason for the disconnect. It was on my 2.4Ghz network and that has yet to crash.

I will say the last 3 days I've had to disconnect/reconnect my phones to the 2.4Ghz network. It never dropped out but certainly wasn't loading anything. 

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I will be adding google mini this week.

I have google home, apple tv, roku, chromecast and other WiFi devices and all seem to work fine since I switched from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode. As I have the same SSID/password for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, I see most of the devices connected to 5GHz most of the time and some to 2.4GHz, which is normal I think.