Re: Questions about quantum gateway router
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I see a white cable with a green connector. I guess that's the fiber. From right to left, I see 2 phone ports, ethernet, coax &, I guess, power.

HMMM. 2 phone ports. I wonder if one can be set up as a fax number.

Does Verizon sell refurbished routers?

Can I get tech support from Verizon if I buy the router?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure. You can use one as a fax line. I don’t think you should get a refurbished one unless it says so, especially at $200. As long as you are using a Verizon router you will get tech support. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I've just about asked all of the questions.

My mom's house has a basement that can be converted into an apartment for me. I don't know if there's coax cable or not in the basement. I reckon that the Verizon tech can run coax & ethernet cable to the basement.

The house had the Actiontec router but my sister was having problems so the Actiontec router was replaced with the quantum router which was the current router at the time.

I don't know what the wireless reception would be like in the basement.

I'm thinking about replacing my Actiontec router with the G3100.

200Mbps is the slowest speed that Verizon offers. I'm paying for 100 Mbps. I wonder if I can get a free upgrade to 200.

I'm wondering if Verizon permits 2 routers at a specific residential address. I don't want to spend $300 on a router & then find out when I move to the downstairs apartment that Verizon forbids 2 routers at a specific residential address. How do I find out if Verizon permits 2 routers at a specific residential address?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I'm wondering if Verizon permits 2 routers at a specific residential address. I don't want to spend $300 on a router & then find out when I move to the downstairs apartment that Verizon forbids 2 routers at a specific residential address. How do I find out if Verizon permits 2 routers at a specific residential address?

You can more than one router at a residential address, but there is a catch.

You can not on a residential account have more than one router connected to the ONT.

One of the ways to have more than one router at a residential address is that you setup the second to act as it was only a networking hub/switch/WAP.

See REFs

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I've just about asked all of the questions.

My mom's house has a basement that can be converted into an apartment for me. I don't know if there's coax cable or not in the basement. I reckon that the Verizon tech can run coax & ethernet cable to the basement.

The house had the Actiontec router but my sister was having problems so the Actiontec router was replaced with the quantum router which was the current router at the time.

I don't know what the wireless reception would be like in the basement.

I'm thinking about replacing my Actiontec router with the G3100.

200Mbps is the slowest speed that Verizon offers. I'm paying for 100 Mbps. I wonder if I can get a free upgrade to 200.

You can connect two routers if you want. I wouldn't get a new router until you move. The easiest thing would be just to run coax to the basement for your STB. And if the wifi coverage isn't great then get a FiOS Network Extender (FNE) which is compatible with your sister's Quantum router.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

One of the ways to have more than one router at a residential address is that you setup the second to act as it was only a networking hub/switch/WAP.

HUH???

The home router is upstairs & my router would be downstairs. I read the instructions that you provided. Networking is Greek to me. An ethernet cable has to be run from the upstairs router to the downstairs router. Is a patch cable same as LAN cable?

Is a mesh network easier to set up than this?

I reckon that the tech would have to hook up my router when he runs coax (ethernet?) cable downstairs.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

HUH???

If you have a second router you can disable it's DHCP and essentially turn it into a wireless access point with a 4 port switch. If using a FiOS router you can utilize MoCA with coax, but if using a non-FiOS router you'll need ethernet from the Quantum router. 

@pcnerd wrote:

The home router is upstairs & my router would be downstairs. I read the instructions that you provided. Networking is Greek to me. An ethernet cable has to be run from the upstairs router to the downstairs router. Is a patch cable same as LAN cable?

Is a mesh network easier to set up than this?

I reckon that the tech would have to hook up my router when he runs coax (ethernet?) cable downstairs.

A patch cable is a pre-made ethernet cable with stranded conductors that will connect from a router/patch panel to a device. If running ethernet wire in the house you want to use structured wire with solid conductors. 

A mesh network could be a possible solution, but since your mom and sister have a Quantum Gateway and FiOS TV that may complicate things. 

I personally think you should just have a tech, handyman, or yourself run coax and ethernet to the basement and just get a FNE from Verizon. This way there is no configuration required. And you will also be able to connect a set-top box if you want. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Well, I thought that I had asked all of my questions!

Is DHCP the same as the lease? I read online about releasing the lease.

I noticed that the network extender has only 2 ethernet ports.

The tech will probably have to run coax & ethernet cables to the basement so he can configure the primary & secondary routers.

I'll have to confer with my sister about what the options are. So, what exactly are my options? Bring my router from my current apartment & have the tech hook it up & configure it or pay for a network extender? Are there any other options other than those 2?

So, is it that simple? I hook up my router & release the lease on it? As I previously stated, networking is not my strong suit.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If using your router you won't need to release the IP. Your sister's router will have the WAN IP. In your case you would disable DHCP in your router. 

Yes the extender only has two ports but you can connect a switch if you need more.  

Most Verizon techs won't reconfigure a second router. That really isn't supported by Verizon. 

In my opinion I would just get the extender and run the wire. This way there is no configuration required. As far as options go it really depends on what you are planning on doing.