Random connectivity issues throughout the day?
johntrinh94

Ever since we've started our verizon FiOs service there have been random times throughout the day where the internet will temporarily shut out for 5-10 minute intervals and then come back. It can be worse and these intervals sometimes last up to an hour. 

When this happens, i am not disconnected from the actual internet itself but the speeds become so slow that they are at a standstill. (I don't have to manually connect to my wifi from my computer again after these connectivity issues and the speed comes back.) When i say random, i truly mean that this happens at random points throughout the day and there isn't really a pattern to when these issues arise aside from the fact that it seems to happen more often at night.

I've called verizon and they've sent a replacement ActionTec router but the problem persists.  

I also notice that during these issues, i'll have more Received bytes than Sent bytes. (Sometimes 10x more) 

0 Likes
Re: Random connectivity issues throughout the day?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@johntrinh94 wrote:

When this happens, i am not disconnected from the actual internet itself but the speeds become so slow that they are at a standstill. (I don't have to manually connect to my wifi from my computer again after these connectivity issues and the speed comes back.) When i say random, i truly mean that this happens at random points throughout the day and there isn't really a pattern to when these issues arise aside from the fact that it seems to happen more often at night.

I've called verizon and they've sent a replacement ActionTec router but the problem persists.  

I also notice that during these issues, i'll have more Received bytes than Sent bytes. (Sometimes 10x more) 

Try connecting via an ethernet cable and see if the problem persists.

Sound like interference on the wifi signal. possibly changing channels would help.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

If the issue occurs when wired with an ethernet cable ( as opposed to wifi), have your ONT checked.

0 Likes
Jeepty

I have the same issue in my area, southern california, east of LA. There is an "outage" in my area that is affecting my connection speeds in the evenings. Verizon has been working on the outage for a month.  In the evenings my fios speed can drop to below 100 kbs.

Perhaps you are in the same general area....

0 Likes