Ridiculously high latency
takohar

I've only had Fios for about three weeks and it has been hands down the most awful internet experience. My ping is constantly anywhere from 500-1000 ms. On a "good" day, it's around 200ms, but unfortunately, those are rare in themselves. I've sifted through the forums looking for solutions and have found none so far.  I'm desperate for possible solutions. Besides all video games being unplayable, talking to people via discord, skype, ventrilo, teamspeak, whatever, is also impossible. For the most part, internet speed is fine. I'm on the 50/50 package and get around 25-30 mbps on wifi, as expected. There is no difference in ping when using an ethernet cable. I'm thinking of switching service providers, but I've heard comcast is significantly worse, which is why I turned to verizon in the first place. I'd like to stick with it if I can. Suggestions? Tips? Tricks?

imageimage

0 Likes
Re: Ridiculously high latency
jonjones1
Legend

@takohar wrote:

I've only had Fios for about three weeks and it has been hands down the most awful internet experience. My ping is constantly anywhere from 500-1000 ms. On a "good" day, it's around 200ms, but unfortunately, those are rare in themselves. I've sifted through the forums looking for solutions and have found none so far.  I'm desperate for possible solutions. Besides all video games being unplayable, talking to people via discord, skype, ventrilo, teamspeak, whatever, is also impossible. For the most part, internet speed is fine. I'm on the 50/50 package and get around 25-30 mbps on wifi, as expected. There is no difference in ping when using an ethernet cable. I'm thinking of switching service providers, but I've heard comcast is significantly worse, which is why I turned to verizon in the first place. I'd like to stick with it if I can. Suggestions? Tips? Tricks?

imageimage

You didn't see 202 returns on high latency? Go back to the search bar and search again. And I cannot say this enough. "Wifi is not a measure of your true speed" but I have seen where you understand that. Not being a gamer since I am a old guy I don't know what pings are ideal.

0 Likes
takohar

Thanks for reaching out.

Here's a definition of latency/ping I found via google:

"Excessive latency creates bottlenecks that prevent data from filling the network pipe, thus decreasing throughput and limiting the maximum effective bandwidth of a connection. The impact of latency on network throughput can be temporary (lasting a few seconds) or persistent (constant) depending on the source of the delays." I'm not an expert at these things so I'm hesitant to explain much further than this.

Can you specify what the 202 error is? I haven't come across anything like that so far in regards to this issue.

Ideal pings would be as little as possible. If you have 0 ms, there are no delays and you must live in the perfect world. But that rarely happens, so next to ideal, anywhere from 0-25 ms is really good. More competitive players may argue that that range is actually too broad, as they can feel the slight, albeit present, delays with 25 ms. Bearing that in mind, at 500-1000ms, the game is literally unplayable.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@takohar wrote:

Thanks for reaching out.

Here's a definition of latency/ping I found via google:

"Excessive latency creates bottlenecks that prevent data from filling the network pipe, thus decreasing throughput and limiting the maximum effective bandwidth of a connection. The impact of latency on network throughput can be temporary (lasting a few seconds) or persistent (constant) depending on the source of the delays." I'm not an expert at these things so I'm hesitant to explain much further than this.

Can you specify what the 202 error is? I haven't come across anything like that so far in regards to this issue.

Ideal pings would be as little as possible. If you have 0 ms, there are no delays and you must live in the perfect world. But that rarely happens, so next to ideal, anywhere from 0-25 ms is really good. More competitive players may argue that that range is actually too broad, as they can feel the slight, albeit present, delays with 25 ms. Bearing that in mind, at 500-1000ms, the game is literally unplayable.

I have found this as your 202 error http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/browser-status-codes/microsoft-corporation/windows-operating-syst...

It seems you have an infected computer. You didn't get infected at this site, but I would try and get rid of it.

as to the pings and latency issues I don't need to know what it is. Like I said I am no gamer so it doesn't matter to me. I gave you a previous suggestion to "search on this site" upper right hand corner with the magnifying glass. And what to search on. It is either that or you call 1-800-VERIZON and use tech support but doubtful they will have the ability outside their network to do anything.

takohar

Alright, I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, may I ask what made you think it is this error that's causing the issue?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@takohar wrote:

Alright, I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, may I ask what made you think it is this error that's causing the issue?

You asked in your post what error 202 meant. I gave you a website. 

There are other reasons I have since looked at depending on the system and what OS the person uses as well as other such code that has nothing to do with computers.

0 Likes
takohar

I took various steps to fix error 202 but the high latency still persists. Any other suggestions? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please run the command: "pathping 8.8.88"

This takes several minutes to run, but will helps us understand where the problem is more.

takohar

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm still dealing with this issue today. If you're still around to help, here's the information you've requested:

0 Likes
takohar

Same tracert, but a different day. All games are unplayable. 

0 Likes