Ring Doorbell
rcaldas10

IS my verizon router compatible with the ring doorbell system...spent 3 hours on the phone with Ring tech support and they are stymied...have model FIOS G1100 router...any ideas on getting it connected?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ring Doorbell
HDRepairman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Make sure your phone is connected to 2.4ghz only. 

The router needs to be within 20ft, with no impediments, open the door. 

Power cycle the router, unplug it and plug back in and try again. 

If you have extenders or mesh network, power them off while setting up.

Restart the phone and reinstall the app. 

Try with the guest network instead. 

This is fully compatible with G1100 and no ports are needed to connect to Wi-Fi. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You need to connect to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi band.

how would ring not know how their device connects?

DocJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Ring and the same router and it works. As the other poster said, you'll need to connect on the 2.4GHz network, not the 5GHz. Also, I find that the Ring has really weak wifi reception. I can stand on my front porch and get a strong 2.4GHz wifi signal on a phone/tablet, but the Ring complains the network is too weak, so I use a cheap ($30 Netgear) network extender to extend the 2.4GHz network to my porch.

Don't forget that you'll have to take the faceplate off the Ring and push the reset button to change the network settings.

If that still fails, try setting up your Ring standing next to your router. Can it see the network there? Do you have the 2.4GHz network on? 

FIOSCONDIOS

Similar problem. I have a MI424WR router and my Ring 2 doorbell will simply not connect to my WiFi. The SSID is hidden and I use WPA2 encryption and MED firewall settings. I have joined numerous other devices with no issue.  I Go through the app setup process, it turns blue when trying to connect to the network but ultimately fails. Ring support is no help. They actually sent a replacement device that similarly fails.

Is there a router setting I’m overlooking or does FIOS charge extra for RING support?

Please help!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@FIOSCONDIOS wrote:

Similar problem. I have a MI424WR router and my Ring 2 doorbell will simply not connect to my WiFi. The SSID is hidden and I use WPA2 encryption and MED firewall settings. I have joined numerous other devices with no issue.  I Go through the app setup process, it turns blue when trying to connect to the network but ultimately fails. Ring support is no help. They actually sent a replacement device that similarly fails.

Is there a router setting I’m overlooking or does FIOS charge extra for RING support?

Please help!

Fios does not troubleshoot other companies products for free. They do have another service that charges money for such assistance. 
The ring doorbell has both an online setup and knowledge base on their website. They offer as you stated online/phone support.

simple fact is if your wifi is strong enough then it should connect to the 2.4g signal.

if not you need the wifi extender as mentioned or a better router than the FiOS Quantum Gateway which has terrible wifi.

FIOSCONDIOS

They SELL the Ring in their store. I would think they'd provide some level of support.

That being said, while you say "it should" connect, it doesn't.   I've even went as far as setting aside a static IP, associating it to the devices MAC addy and temp lowering the FW thinking if that worked, I'd create a DMZ. Any idea what port this comms on?

looking for technical solutions only. Thanks. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a ring with a battery or hardwired?

If with a battery, take it off the dorrway and move it closer to your router.
Does it connect?

Another option is if you have an android device, use an app call wifi analyzer.

My Ring2 connects with an RSSI of -77. It reports the signal as low but works ok.

As for support, a lot of stores sell devices. But they don't offer support.

jonjones1
Legend

I purchased two rings yesterday. Even though I hardwired them after the suggested 5 hours of battery charging, after downloading the ring app it was a simple set up process. I purchased mine from Amazon who sent along a install video which was helpful. 

my guess is other folks who have or are using fios routers are not getting a strong connection so there is the problem. I use the Netgear nighthawk R8500 which gives excellent wifi coverage. The G1100 has terrible wifi and has internal antennas versus a good high quality one with internal/external antennas.

it could also depend on the distance from the router, and the materials in the home to get the signals. Also tv's and microwave ovens also cause interference so many factors come into play.

HDRepairman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Make sure your phone is connected to 2.4ghz only. 

The router needs to be within 20ft, with no impediments, open the door. 

Power cycle the router, unplug it and plug back in and try again. 

If you have extenders or mesh network, power them off while setting up.

Restart the phone and reinstall the app. 

Try with the guest network instead. 

This is fully compatible with G1100 and no ports are needed to connect to Wi-Fi. 

Fixed1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just thought thought I would put this out there. I also have a FIOS G1100 router. Recently had a power outage, and the ring doorbell would not find the wifi. Everything else was connecting but not my doorbell. I did EVERYTHING listed in this forum and nothing worked. HOWEVER, I do not see listed anywhere, what I did to make it reconnect. I went out to the main FIOS box in the garage, (the one with the battery in it) and unplugged it for a few minutes to let it reset. Miraculously when I plugged it back in, the doorbell reconnected. Hopefully this will help someone.