Router Access
encom1
Enthusiast - Level 2

HI.  I seem to have a bit of an issue that I can't seem to work through.  No matter what browser I use, when I go to enter the password for the router, each character I type is doubled.  I've used IE7, Firefox 3.6, old version of Safari and old version (2.x) of firefox and it happens on all of them.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Access
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@encom wrote:

HI.  I seem to have a bit of an issue that I can't seem to work through.  No matter what browser I use, when I go to enter the password for the router, each character I type is doubled.  I've used IE7, Firefox 3.6, old version of Safari and old version (2.x) of firefox and it happens on all of them.

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about th extra characters that appear, that's how it's meant to work.  Just make sure you type the correct password and it will log you on.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@encom wrote:

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about th extra characters that appear, that's how it's meant to work.  Just make sure you type the correct password and it will log you on.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

That's done in the hopes of confusing anyone watching over your shoulder.

When I'm typing in my password I just look at my fingers on the keys and not at the screen.  That avoids confusing me. Smiley Surprised

Justin46
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

That's done in the hopes of confusing anyone watching over your shoulder.

When I'm typing in my password I just look at my fingers on the keys and not at the screen.  That avoids confusing me. Smiley Surprised

My solution is to enter the login info once into KeePass (a free password manager) and then just let it enter the stuff any time I need to log into the router, no way to get confused once it is set up. (Of course I use KeePass for lots of other websites also, not just the router, it encrypts everything and manages the stuff very nicely, but it does eliminate any confusion with the router password)

Keller, TX 76248

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yeah, I actually use a password manager too, RoboForm, to keep my passwords.  But before I had RoboForm not looking at the screen while typing in the Verizon password did help prevent making typos.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

Yeah, I actually use a password manager too, RoboForm, to keep my passwords.  But before I had RoboForm not looking at the screen while typing in the Verizon password did help prevent making typos.

Yep, me too. I just got tired of typing (and remembering!) all that password stuff for lots of websites, including the router. Smiley Very Happy

I have never understood why Actiontec (or Verizon) chose to implement that as a security feature; this is a home router, who in the world would be watching over your shoulder to steal your password in your home? Has caused a lot of confusion will no real benefit I think. But it is what it is....

Keller, TX 76248