Router Choice and Extended Service Range
phils2888
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded our router from WEP to WPA security.  Apparently WPA2 is not available using the ActionTec M1424WR router.  I also cannot get signal from this router in "distant" areas of the house or property.  Additionally our cell service is very poor in the house, but go a block away in any direction and cell service is very good.  I may be having several different issues here.  My questions are, what is the best router for Verizon FIOS service?  Is the service extender worth it to get a better siganl throughout the house?  Is there anything I can do to get better cell signal in the house?

Thanks.

Phil

0 Likes
Re: Router Choice and Extended Service Range
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have several questions:

1) Do you have TV service with Verizon STB? If so, you can use wither the latest Quantum router(either rent or buy). That works best with Quantum STBs. Or you can keep the router and use the extender or another router to extend signal. Or see if there is another location in the house that would cover the house more thoroughly.

2) For cell issues try contacting your provider. Do you have good service outside your house or only when you go a block or so? Depending on your provider, some provide (at a fee usually) a device that connects to Internet to provide better cell coverage.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that I have WPA2 on my Router

Firmware Version:           40.21.24

Model Name:    MI424WR-GEN3I

Hardware Version:          I

Wireless Status

Radio Enabled:  Yes

SSID:      ************

Channel:              Automatic

Security Enabled:             Yes

WEP 64-bit: N/A

WEP 802.1x:               N/A

WPA2:          ********************

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

MAC Authentication:     Disabled

Wireless Mode:                Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n)

WMM:  Enabled

WPS:     Enabled

WPS BUTTON:   Off

Received Packets:           2799923

Sent Packets:     8416589

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only the oldest MI424WR model (sometimes called REV A)  does not support WPA2.  At one point they were offering free upgrades of that router(not sure if they still are.  There are REV A,B, C,D,E,F, G and I versions of that router.  The latest router is a non-actiontec router is the G1100. 

They recently started a program to force people to pay I extra fee if they don't upgrade to the rev I or the G1100 (unfortunately at the people cost.

None of these routers support Cell Service.  Just Wi-fi access.

0 Likes