Router reset - removes parental controls on router - HELP!
Tenagers-help

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with this one.

I have an adult/teenager that uses my wireless connection to play warcraft all night and then sleep most of the day. I thought I had a solution to this when I figured out how to go in and set the parental controls on my verizon router on line - to have it shut off at 11:00 at night and then on again at 7:00am for his IP address...he has figured out that he just has to hit the reset button on the back of the router and that wipes out all parental controls that have been set up. Is there a way to lock out the router reset by way of the web admin or any other way? Anyone have anyother ideas? HELP! and thanks!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Router reset - removes parental controls on router - HELP!
VZ_Dwayzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reseting from the router is always gonna wipe the setting on the router... other than hiding the router there is now to stop him from reseting it. Another solution might be to look at the Verizon Internet Security Suite... that would be a software block that he couldnt as easily remove.

UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

I would suggest putting the router in some sort of lockbox or lockable cabinet.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon Offers Free Parental Control Software called family protection.

www.verizon.com/freetools

download it and use that, because you can password protect that, and he shouldn't be able to guess your password.  

prisaz
Legend

Take the antenna. Does this "adult/teenager" have school or a job? Hey I can relate. Been there done that. Mine is 23 now.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Creating parental controls may cut your download speed in half for all users.  You may want to go with parental controls installed on the PC instead of relying on the router.

prisaz
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Creating parental controls may cut your download speed in half for all users.  You may want to go with parental controls installed on the PC instead of relying on the router.

I agree with you on this one. Why the router needs to go to an IP on APNIC is beyond me. But when I tried it, it had to hit that IP everytime it scanned a site.

chas21
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. Lock the door of the room the router is in. This WoW stuff drives me insane.

You can block WoW only on the router interface, its a bit complicated though. It goes away when the kid resets the router.

I hate this WoW thing.