Router upstairs - but need ethernet in basement
rpat747
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS with wireless and LAN router installed on second floor. I am working from home and have two computers that need ethernet LAN access to run bandwidth extensive applications from office. I noticed this box (ONT?) in the basement where the main service comes into house. Can I run CAT 5 cable from the yellow LAN ports?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router upstairs - but need ethernet in basement
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The device in your picture is a G1100 Router.  It's WAN port should be connected to the ONT, not another router (unless your doing some advanced networking stuff and using a non-Verizon router as primary.)

You could have a less then optimal network setup.  Can you confirm what the upstairs device is?  Could it be a Verizon Network extender?  If you're not sure, post a picture.

Do you know which device is connected to the ONT and if it uses Ethernet or Coax WAN?

View solution in original post

TechHobbyist
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, If I understand your situation correctly and if you live in a newer house, I would suggest looking into powerline-ethernet adapters that would enable you to extend your wired LAN from the 2nf FL FIOS Router location to the office in the basement. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-PWR514K01/dp/B00CB2F65O/

I assume that you have an ethernet home-run from FIOS terminal in the basement to your FIOS router upstairs. Obviously, you can move the router into the basement, but then your WIFI network would probably suffer and if you may have devices upstairs that might be using wired connection to LAN.

I hope my suggestion helps. I personally used Actiontec and had very good results.

TechHobbyist
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm able to see your picture now, and I do have a couple of questions.

But before that, from your picture, it appears that you actually have a G1100 FIOS router installed in the basement. So, you actually should be able to just connect your computers in the basement office into the yellow LAN ports on G1100.

Now, my question is - what device do you have on the 2nd floor? And how is it connected to the the FIOS network?

Also, can you take a picture and show where that COAX and white Ethernet cables are coming from in that picture you posted? Thanks..

TechHobbyist
Enthusiast - Level 2

RPAT747,

I believe you should have no problem connecting your PCs in the basement to that G1100 router via LAN (yellow) ports, if your setup is what I believe it to be.

In reality, I need to thank you - THANKS!

In trying to help you resolve your situation, and mainly because of the details in your post and the provided picture, I was able to resolve my own problem. And thanks to you, I now don't need to spend any extra $$$.

Regards... 

jonjones1
Legend

You can if you already have a ethernet connection at your service address.

if not you can call verizon to switch you over. 
I notice you have coaxial (MOCA) in the Router. So I would call 1-800-VERIZON and have them swap you over.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

jonjones: It looks like Ethernet WAN is used as there is a cable connected to the white WAN port.  Coax is likely for FiOS set-to-boxes.

jonjones1
Legend

thank you. I must have missed that. 

rpat747
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your responses!  I did find a spare CAT 5 cable and connected one of my machines to the basement box and as it turns out - yes I have additional ethernet ports downstairs.  To answer the question about how the upstairs router is connected - it is the white cable in the photo connected to the WAN port - hence the term "Wide Area Network". All is good!  Stay safe!

rpat747
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did and it worked!

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The device in your picture is a G1100 Router.  It's WAN port should be connected to the ONT, not another router (unless your doing some advanced networking stuff and using a non-Verizon router as primary.)

You could have a less then optimal network setup.  Can you confirm what the upstairs device is?  Could it be a Verizon Network extender?  If you're not sure, post a picture.

Do you know which device is connected to the ONT and if it uses Ethernet or Coax WAN?