Router
Me9963

Hi I am in the process of getting a different router than the stock router from Verizon I also have fios tv how do I set up the new router and I would like to keep the Verizon’s router for the tv on demand service 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@appDev wrote:

But that's only to activate, right? once that's done, (s)he can move to a non-vz router..

That's correct. The new TV One STBs need a G1100 or G3100 for activation. The is no way around it. Then the OPs router and MoCA adapter can be installed. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need the Verizon router as the primary router to enable your FiOS TV. Your router can be connected behind the Verizon router, which would double NAT your devices and slow down the connection.

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

at the link above you can look up how to use only your own router with a MOCA adapter and a few splitters to keep tv without the verizon router.

it is as written a little more difficult to set up but it can be done via your own personal router and then return verizons router to save hundreds a year in rental fees.

but get a receipt showing the return with serial number, your account number, name etc. this way you won’t have to worry about verizon saying you never returned it.

best of luck

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short, it's a pain to use a non-Verizon router with Verizon set-top-boxes.  Even more so with the latest boxes, as they require a Verizon router as primary to activate.

Here's the specific FAQ on DSLreports.com that addresses your question:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

But that's only to activate, right? once that's done, (s)he can move to a non-vz router..

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@appDev wrote:

That's correct. The new TV One STBs need a G1100 or G3100 for activation. The is no way around it. Then the OPs router and MoCA adapter can be installed.