Running ethernet from ONT to router during installation
LeoBloom

I am currently on a cable ISP and thinking to switch to FIOS. The previous tenant of the apartment had FIOS and I do have an ONT (1000GJ4) already in place. The previous install ran two cables from my closet to my foyer that connected to an outlet. I would like to set up a router in the foyer. Would my ONT already in place work for the mix and match 300/300? Would the technician be able to also run the ethernet from ONT to the foyer along the other cables (the tunnel previously created from closet to foyer is too small to fit through an ethernet cable at this time)?

0 Likes
Re: Running ethernet from ONT to router during installation
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LeoBloom wrote:

Would my ONT already in place work for the mix and match 300/300?

Yes.

@LeoBloom wrote:

Would the technician be able to also run the ethernet from ONT to the foyer along the other cables (the tunnel previously created from closet to foyer is too small to fit through an ethernet cable at this time)?

Does the previously laid cables contain an ethernet wire? If yes, the installer can directly use that ethernet wire to hook up your router. If no, it depends on the difficulty of laying a new ethernet cable. If expanding the tunnel takes too much effort or requires special tools, then you need to run the cable either yourself or hire a contractor.

0 Likes
LeoBloom

Thank you. Is it true that speeds >100/100 need to go through ethernet (and not coax)

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is correct. This is due to the MoCA version supported on the ONT is low.

0 Likes