Samsung smart TV - wired ethernet connection vs. 2.4 GHz wireless
lp321
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just found out that that my Samsung smart TV (UN58NU6080FXZA) that I bought around 2018/2019 only supports 2.4 GHz wireless connection. I have the Fios whole-home wi-fi service (Gigabit Connection 2.0) using the G3100 router and also have an extender installed. I don't have fios TV service - I just use several streaming services through the TV. I disabled SON and set up a separate "-5G" band for 5 GHz because I noticed that the TV was only connecting at 2.4 GHz and was trying to force it to use 5 GHz. After disabling SON, the -5G network still didn't show up in the list of available networks on my TV. My question is: would it be (in general, on average) faster, more reliable to use the 2.4 GHz wireless connection or instead should I connect an ethernet cable directly from the router to the back of the TV? I've heard in general that wired is always faster but please let me know your thoughts. The TV is close to the router. Also, should I just turn back on SON? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung smart TV - wired ethernet connection vs. 2.4 GHz wireless
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would connect the TV to the router by using an Ethernet cable and keep SON disabled. 🙂

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would connect the TV to the router by using an Ethernet cable and keep SON disabled. 🙂

lp321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. Is the wired faster then? I guess I need to spring for a new TV at some point too. Can you educate me on the SON and what the benefits of disabling the SON are? Thanks 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wired is faster indeed. With AX, I can reach speeds of about 650 (give or take), but, with an Ethernet connection, my computer reaches a full 940/940.

On paper, SON looks like a good idea. Let devices automatically choose between 2.4 and 5 depending upon signal strength.

In practice the results aren't very good.

I like to allocate different devices to different frequencies. Computers and tablets not connected via Ethernet use 5GHZ while smartphones and peripherals use slower 2.4GHz.

Works out quite nicely! 🙂

lp321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. That was going to be my next question- which devices should use 2.4 and which should use the 5. Does the computer/tablet need to be pretty close to the router or extender in order to use the 5 or not necessarily? As I understand it, the 2.4 is better for longer range. I get the idea behind putting smartphones and peripherals on 2.4 because speed is not really of importance.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lp321 wrote:

Can you educate me on the SON and what the benefits of disabling the SON are? Thanks 

Please check this post out. I answered another user regarding this question earlier. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Self-Organizing-Network/m-p/906953/highlight/true#M83910 

Also, in my test, I can pull 917Mbps off G3100 and E3200's 802.11ax with a 2 x 2 MIMO client.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is indeed true that 2.4 has a longer reach than 5, but, devices don't have to be within inches of the router/extender to enjoy maximum speed.

2.4 can penitrate walls and obstructions better than 5 can. The tradeoff is slower Internet speed.

How to utilize the two frequencies is a matter of personal preference. Some users will actually reverse the way I divide my devices.

No right answer to that test question. 😊

I'm going to retest my AX speed to see if my memory of the results is correct or not.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two tests using the Speedtest app on my Microsoft Surface Pro 7 sitting about 1 foot from an E3200.

Fastest results using AX are 703.65/361.14.

Test result using an Ethernet cable:

935.74/941.87. 🙂