Second wifi router connected to coaxial outlet?
Kragart

Hi all,

I have verizon Fios, with my main router in the middle of the second floor in a centrally located closet. In a room on the first floor that is a converted porch, I have little to no wifi.  The router I have now is a Actiontec Model MI424WR.

In this room on the first floor I have two separate in wall coaxial jacks.  One is used for my TV /set top box, but the other is unused.  I would love to be able to plug in something that could give me wifi service in this room.  Any suggestions?  

I have previously tried a couple of range extenders, Almond and Linksys, but they dont cover very well, or slow down speeds quite a bit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: Second wifi router connected to coaxial outlet?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There have been many positive reports about the FiOS Network Extender (a.k.a. Actiontec wcb300n).  It will plug into your coax jack and effortlessly configure itself to be an access point using the same WiFi settings as  your Actiontec router.  The best place for FiOS customers to buy it is here:

www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Enjoy.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The only thing that I might add, krac1, is you'll have to confirm the second coax outlet is actually connected to your ONT.  It's possible that the second outlet isn't connected to anything.

If that turns out to be the case, you'll simply need to use a coax splitter after the output of the active coax outlet.  Other than that, the device gs0b recommended should be a simple and effective solution.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could also go to somewhere like ebay and get an old fios router and bridge it to the primary fios router via the moca network.

That should give you wired and wifi connections.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

El jefe is right.

Most places I have seen that have two coax outlets in one room, find that only one is active.  So double check that it is.  I think if you use your existing router, and simply plug it into that outlet, it has coax lan and wan lights, so if your coax wan light doesn't come on, then you know it's a dead outlet.   a splitter would be a good work around.

0 Likes