Re: Slow FIOS download speeds in Northern NJ
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

@JiveTurkey wrote:

Questions:

1) All machines in the house/business?  If only one is testing slow, it could be an issue w/ machine (see below)

2) Wired or wireless?  This is a biggie.  Verizon doesn't support the wireless speeds/signal/connectivity.  Even if "it worked fine with  <insert lame ISP here>".  The variable is the wireless router.  It does have some limitations compared to newer Linksys/Netgear/Belkin routers.  But it is what it is.  If you want to use your own router for wireless, there are ways around this. (Can't post here, try dslreports.com, or simply Google it).  Also, keep in mind Verizon won't support a "bridged", "piggybacked", "daisy-chained" router configuration, switches, wireless APs, etc.  Like I said, Google is your friend. 😉

A hardwired connection directly to the Verizon router (and *only* the Verizon router) will yield 25/25 or whatever the provisioned speed is, period.

3) Are the PCs optimized?  The tech who connected the computer to the Internet runs software that optimizes the connection, wired & wireless (if it's, for example, a laptop hardwired into the router).  Any PC connected, wired or wireless, should be optimized by going here <---FiOS Optimizer.

It basically adjusts TCP/IP and MTU settings to maximize the connectivity FiOS provides.

4)  Check the LAN configuration.  (Control Panel->System->Device Manager), right click on Network Interface Card (NIC) and go to "Advanced" tab.  If it's set to "Auto Detect", "Auto Negotiate", etc., change to 100 Mbps/Full Duplex (or something like that) mode & save changes.

5)  Perform a factory reset of the router by pressing pushpin/paperclip in red circle on back of router for 10 seconds & releasing it.  (Yes, it will clear any custom settings like ESSID/WEP and you'd have sign back in to change it back)

6)  If all else fails, call Verizon, they'd most likely have to reboot your Optical Network Terminal.  If *THAT* fails (from what I've seen, VERY rare), a tech would have to go out to replace unit or have the technicians call their Tier II on site.

Thanks for they advice,but these slow speeds only happen during the early evening,so your fixes are not the issues,i can almost guarentee it is something on Verizons end.

JiveTurkey2
Contributor - Level 1

What sites?  Try the tracert to the URLs that are running slow, and look for latency.  Again, anything in the first few hops would be something from the gateway router to the edge routers, anything beyond that is out of Verizon's control, really.  

If it's all sites, happening at the same time....then maybe ONT or Actiontec router issue....

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but if anyone else has anything else I'd be happy to hear it. Robot Happy

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Must have fixed the issue in North Jersey, for a week now been getting 30 Down 25 Up all day and night wired,and about 25 down 16 up wireless,could not be happier.

0 Likes
melnahas

I am jersey city and Fios internet has been very slow since Friday 2/12/2011 I am getting 1.5 Mbps of download speed instead of getting the usual 15 to 19.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

0 Likes
jamesmarsden
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in central NJ, and have been experiencing slow download speeds for a week.

I have rebooted the router and ONT, tested from three different PCs, and am getting the same results.

Verizon is sending me a new router, but I don't think that will help.

I have 15/5 service and am experiencing 300 to 500Kbps download and 5 Mbps upload, when testing to the FIOS NJ speed test server.

Now here is where it gets interesting, when I test to NY City based speed test servers from other speed test providers, as well as speed test servers located nearby, but not in the NY City area.

Speedtest server               Download      Upload

Provider & Location

Fios to NJ server               324 Kbps          5 Mbps         

Fios to NY server              422 Kbps           5 Mbps

Fios to PA server                5.5 Mbps           3 Mbps

Fios to DC server               5.5 Mbps          3 Mbps

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/#

Perhaps Verizon needs to take a look at its backbone network in NJ and NY area?

"Faster" to sites outside of NY / NJ doesn't do me any good, as most sites will route you through the NY area.

I also tested via other services, and got consistent results, ie, slow to NJ /NY and "fast" to other locations.

Speedtest server                                             Download      Upload

Provider & Location

Speakeasy.net to NY City                                    2 Mbps          6 Mbps

Speedtest.net to Sayreville, NJ                           3 Mbps           6 Mbps

Speakeasy.net to Washington DC                  11 Mbps           6 Mbps

Speakeasy.net to Atlanta                                   20 Mbps          6 Mbps           

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Likes
projekte
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem in Tinton Falls, NJ.  Got Fios installed in February and it ran perfect until about 3 days ago.  Suddenly I was getting constant lag spikes 50-1000ms and then I did a speed test on verizon's site and keep getting .6mb down and 5-6mb up.  It's completely unusable.  If this continues I'm switching back to cable.  I tried every, hard modem / box resets and to no avail....

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The one thing that is missing from all these posts are trace routes. In order for Verizon (or us) to help, we need to know exactly where the problem lies. California had a similar issue about a year and a half ago. Turned out to be that one of the Verizon "overload" routers was bad. Everytime the traffic got heavy (evening times) many people got connected to one of the backup routers to handle the extra traffic and that router had issue. Once they had enough tracerts to be able to track down the router, they went out and replaced it and everything has been good since. Something similar may be happening there.

Try running some tracert both when it is working and when it is not working and post both. That will give us some info to work on and see where in the network the problem is located.

projekte
Enthusiast - Level 2

TraceRoute to {edited for privacy}[pool-{edited for privacy}.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net]

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms)        IP Address Host name

1     0    0    0       8.9.232.73  xe-5-3-0.edge3.dallas1.level3.net  

2     0    1    0       64.124.196.225  xe-4-2-0.er2.dfw2.us.above.net  

3     0    0    0       64.125.13.26  above-vzb.dfw2.us.above.net  

4     31    0    0       152.63.97.61  0.ae2.xl4.dfw7.alter.net  

5     2    1    40       152.63.96.42  0.ge-6-3-0.dfw01-bb-rtr1.verizon-gni.net  

6     Timed out    Timed out    Timed out         -  

7     Timed out    53    52       {edited for privacy} pool-{edited for privacy}.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net  

Trace complete

Retrieving DNS records for pool-{edited for privacy}.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net...

DNS servers
ns2.verizon.net
ns3.verizon.net
ns4.verizon.net
ns1.verizon.net

Answer records
pool-{edited for privacy}.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net   A {edited for privacy} 86400s
Authority records
nwrknj.fios.verizon.net   NS ns3.verizon.net 86400s nwrknj.fios.verizon.net   NS ns4.verizon.net 86400s nwrknj.fios.verizon.net   NS ns1.verizon.net 86400s nwrknj.fios.verizon.net   NS ns2.verizon.net 86400s

Here is a traceroute.... It seems that a server is down somewhere I guess?  It's been like this for a week.  Do I call verizon and complain and ask for a tech to come out?  Could they even do anything?

0 Likes
projekte
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your connection speed test has finished. You can review test details here.

Your download
speed is

0.813 Mbps.
Your upload
speed is

6.58 Mbps.
Let us check your
current Verizon Internet
speed package.

This has been the same every day no matter what time for a week now.  It's extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
jamesmarsden
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are my test results from Ocean Twp, NJ (central NJ) to Verizon's NJ server

And as I said before, this "test" was conducted from 3 different PCs, it is NOT a LAN problem.

Verizon speed test done at 7:56AM on May 12, 2011 to NJ Server

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/ 

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 5.04Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 993.77kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_25

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 17520 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 29.14 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
There were 80 packets retransmitted, 242 duplicate acks received, and 281 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 6 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 1.42 seconds (11.83%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 3.13% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (17.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 2.69% of the time.
This connection is network limited 94.17% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

0 Likes