Slow Gigabit Fios Internet
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

About a week ago the web pages started to load slowly or partially, and Verizon speed test failed on router test most of the time, or I would get weird speed results when connected trough Verizon Fios router. The same issue on two different computers. When connected directly without Verizon Fios router, all works fine.

Verizon reset the router to factory defaults, but that did not help.
Verizon replaced the Fios router, but that did not help.

I called back in and the technician told me she did "something" (she could not explain what exactly) and it looks all good on their side, but I still experience the issue on two different computers, although the Verizon speed test, and speedtest.net show close to Gigabit speeds, and fast.com shows some 800Mbps download, but only 3.5Mbps upload speed.

I tried "Fix Slow Internet" at Support>Fios Internet on Verizon web site, and that seemed to help, but the issue quickly came back.

Any ideas what "Fix Slow Internet" at verizon.com exactly do, and how can I fix the issue I am having, cause the only option I am left at this point is to switch to another Internet provider.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Gigabit Fios Internet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maestro wrote:

It looks like a multi-million dollar corporation left thousands of paying customers with Intel NICs on community support...

Well, this also shows communities like this Forum is useful. My thought is that companies should put those who actually build the hardware and software in the community for a day or two periodically, so they can know what needs to be fixed and what the customers actually want, instead of being solely guided by the product/sales/marketing teams.

Dexman, sorry I was away and taking a break from work/computer. I can now answer the question about IPv6 to the OP: you can 1) disable IPv6 at router level, 2) disable IPv6 at NIC level, 3) disable IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload (this is the root problem and suggested by Intel in the technical advisory). Disabling IPv6 would not serve you good because the entire point of the recent IPv6 rollout was to allowing customers to use IPv6 to access the part of the Internet that was previously not accessible via IPv4. Disabling the TCP checksum offload would virtually solve the problem and still allow you to use IPv6.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you tested you tested while using a wired connection?

#2 Did you test the network while others are using it or when others are not using it?

#3 Have you conidered turning off wireless in the NAT router before the test and then turning it back on after the test?

#4 Do you have Fios TV too? Only if so, do you have Fios TV One (or maybe I got that wrong: Fios One TV) ?

#5 What brand and model of Fios NAT router do you have?

#6 Did/does the NAT router has QoS turned on?

maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, tested using wired connection.

Nothing was plugged into Fios modem except my test computer, and maybe some WiFi devices.

No, I did not try turning WiFi off and then test, but I can definitely do this.

No Fios TV, only Internet.

Fios Gigabit modem, G3100.

I did not touch QoS settings, so if QoS is not on by default, then it is not on.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maestro wrote:

No, I did not try turning WiFi off and then test, but I can definitely do this.

#1 Ok, please try that.

@maestro wrote:

No Fios TV, only Internet.

#2 Because you do not have Fios TV, you need to use their NAT router only for support from Verizon.

@maestro wrote:

Nothing was plugged into Fios modem except my test computer.

Fios Gigabit modem, G3100.

#3 Repeat after me, Fios does not use modems and the closest possible thing to what a modem is/does is the ONT. Switching/converting light to electric and vice versa (read: the other way around).

maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I think it is also a modem as it has a MoCA component along with Ethernet. I use MoCA extender.

I will test with WiFi off when I have a chance and post back.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you receive IPv6 recent?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maestro wrote:

Although the Verizon speed test, and speedtest.net show close to Gigabit speeds, and fast.com shows some 800Mbps download, but only 3.5Mbps upload speed..

Not sure about the other issue(s) that you are having (or had) but for the part that I just quoted it goes like this.

> While network speed is not guaranteed, once the traffic leaves the ISP's network they can not guarantee the speed that you will get.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maestro wrote:

I think it is also a modem as it has a MoCA component along with Ethernet. I use MoCA extender.

I will test with WiFi off when I have a chance and post back.

No, it is not a modem.  MoCA LAN is quite different than the DOCSIS WAN standard.  Verizon routers contain MoCA bridges that connect the coax LAN to the rest of the LAN.  These are not modems.

The simple fact is fios does not use modems.  The ONT is an optical network terminal that converts between light and electricity.  This process is quite different than what is used in a modem, thus the different name.  Verizon routers are just that - routers.  They happen to have MoCA bridges in them for the LAN, but these are not modems.

You cannot take any device called a modem and use it on fios.  You cannot take a Fios ONT and use it on a modem based network (such as cable systems.)  Two very different technologies.

If you continue to call a router a modem, you'll be going against the entire data-communications industry's naming conventions.

maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for details.

I did not have a chance to test my Internet connection with WiFi off, but will post back as soon as I do.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, and it is strange that Verizon technician asks you to try fast.com, because the speed test on Verizon site may not function properly...

0 Likes