Slow Internet Download speeds in Belmont, MA
ttallet

So I've noticed some slow download speeds the last few days while loading movie trailers and such... so I just ran a speed test. My current plan is 15MB down / 2MB up.

This is horrible... not even close. What the heck is going on? Anyone else in the area having similar issues?

Message Edited by ttallet on 03-14-2009 05:03 PM
0 Likes
Re: Slow Internet Download speeds in Belmont, MA
prisaz
Legend
Have you tried to cycle power on your router? Some times it helps.
0 Likes
ttallet
Yeah, I've power cycled it several times. There is definitely something going on with the connection. I've had several interuptions and extremely slow download speeds over the past week or so. Very frustrating!
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Normally if I am ever having an issue with slow speeds and power cycling the router doesn't help (and I know for a fact that I haven't installed or changed any settings on my computers) I usually log into safemode with networking and rerun a speedtest.  Depending on how the speed checks out in safemode depends on what I do.  If the speed is fine, then I know something is slowing my internet speeds down when I log into my computer normally.

Have you tried running that test in safe mode?  Also, is the computer hardwired or wireless?

0 Likes
ttallet
No, I haven't tried that, but I haven't had a PC wired on my LAN for over a year. I only use Macs. Nothing has changed on my network in the last year except a new Mac laptop was added, and nothing has changed on either of the laptops in some time. I've tested both wirelessly and hardwired... getting approximately the same results. Speeds fluctuate greatly even with just the one laptop hardwired and nothing else running on the network... which never happens on a FIOS line. It'll will go from 3MB down to 9MM down and then back to 2MB down in a matter of minute and nothing has changed... and nothing is running on the laptop.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
I would call Verizon Tech support and have them run some test. I know many times the wait on hold and getting to a tech can be a chore, but perhaps they can spot something and clear it up. These forums are good for somethings but can not diagnose a possible hardware issue with your line. You could try to cold boot your ONT by unpluging you battery and then unpluging your power cord. But I would call Verizon.
0 Likes
Mnvic19

Don't just use one speed test site. Use multiple ones to be sure. Try msiad.visualware.com/myspeed/. Also try speakeasy.net. If the speeds are similar then it sounds like it's a hardware issue or settings. 

0 Likes
ttallet

Thanks Mnvic... I use to use speakeasy all the time and totally forgot about that one. I've tested it using both services and I'm getting the same thing... decreased download speeds... consistent upload. Just tested all 3 within 1 min and all three came back with D/L speeds in the 8-9MB range... which is about 5-6MB below my service.

Just for the record, I have consistently tested my speeds regularly for the last few years and I've never (ever) seen anything off regarding my FIOS speeds. They have always consistently shown 15MB down... always. 

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Yeah, if hardwired and reseting the router gives the same results then I would have to say call in.  Might be the router or something else going on that you really have no control over.
0 Likes