Slow wired ethernet speeds
29thplace
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an issue Verizon support could not solve. I have a G100 router. Speedtests show I am getting 900 Mbps speeds between Verizon's servers and my router, but only 100 Mbps between the router and my computer using an ethernet cable plugged into the router. Oddly, when I disconnect the ethernet cable and switch to WiFi, the speed between router and computer jumps to 500 Mbps. Multiple resets of the router did nothing to improve the situation. Puzzling. All explanations and/or solutions are welcome. Thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow wired ethernet speeds
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As described, I would focus on the cable between the router and computer. It could be a marginal patch cord or inside wiring (remembering that there are four different pairs of wires within the cables).

If possible, move the computer to where the router is and connect to it using a known good cable and retest. If the results are good, test the next patch cord. If good, then the inside wiring (including keystone jacks) would need to be checked.

View solution in original post

Re: Slow wired ethernet speeds
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As described, I would focus on the cable between the router and computer. It could be a marginal patch cord or inside wiring (remembering that there are four different pairs of wires within the cables).

If possible, move the computer to where the router is and connect to it using a known good cable and retest. If the results are good, test the next patch cord. If good, then the inside wiring (including keystone jacks) would need to be checked.